Master's Programme in European Studies - Humanities track
In the European Studies, Humanities Track programme of the University of Gothenburg, you will learn to critically examine and understand Europe as an idea and community, but also how Europe has been influenced by national and cultural identities. We shed light on European self-understanding in relation to other parts of the world, both historically and in the present day globalization. You will develop your skills in critical analysis, text interpretation, analysing cultural practices, application of scientific methods, and in preparing your own arguments.As a student of the Master’s Programme in European Studies, you will be part of a multi-disciplinary milieu in close collaboration with the Centre for European Research at Gothenburg University (CERGU). We offer you a unique possibility to combine historic and theoretical knowledge with social and political perspectives on contemporary challenges in Europe.
- European Heritage and Identity
- European Borderlands
- Political and Public Spheres Spaces in European History and Culture
- Central and Eastern Europe: fully European or the European other?
- Social Europe
- European Environment and Energy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies International Relations European Studies View 22 other Masters in International Relations in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's Degree (180 credits) with a minimum of 90 credits courses in humanities discipline(s) such as Cultural Sciences, History, History of Ideas, Philosophy, Religious Studies, or equivalent
- A Bachelor's Degree (180 credits) with a minimum of 90 credits of courses in social science discipline(s) such as Business Administration, Economic Geography, Economic History, Economics, European Studies, Human Geography, International Relations, Journalism, Law, Media and Communication, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration, Social Work, Sociology, or equivalent
- A Bachelor?s Degree in Languages (180 credits) if combined with 60 credits of courses within the above mentioned humanities or social sciences discipline(s), or equivalent
- Knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
- Statement of intent
International8158 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16316 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 178,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.