Interpreting and understanding
Mobility and migration are growing elements of our society today, and it is therefore becoming important to be able to detect and respond to a variety of linguistic and cultural phenomena, to be able to interact with people from a variety of backgrounds, and to handle issues, contradictions and frictions that may arise, which can have linguistic and cultural causes.Studies within the Language and Intercultural Communication programme of the University of Gothenburg give you the linguistic tools you need to explore, interpret and understand a range of linguistic and cultural expressions and to draw conclusions about how discourses on culture and cultural differences can influence communication between and about different cultures. This capacity to analyse and discuss communicative manifestations of culture gives you a global education in languages and a cultural competence that is extremely useful for working in international milieus and handling intercultural encounters and opportunities.
- Language and Intercultural Communication
- Research Methods in Linguistics and Intercultural Communication
- Language and Society
- Intercultural and Contrastive Semantics and Pragmatics
- Translating Languages and Cultures
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Digital Communication View 34 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree of 180 higher education credits or an equivalent foreign degree, including an independent study project of 15 higher education credits at in-depth level
- An additional requirement is English 6 from the Swedish upper-secondary school or the equivalent level at an internationally recognized test
- Depending on the chosen main field of study, an additional 60 higher education credits are required in English, French, Spanish or German, alternatively 90 higher education credits in Arabic or Russian, alternatively 120 higher education credits in Japanese or Chinese, or the equivalent level of proficiency in these languages at an internationally recognized test
- A list containing these tests, and the corresponding levels of language proficiency, is to be found in the information in the Course & program catalogue
International8158 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16316 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 178,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.