The Religious Roots of Europe programme from Lund University focuses on the formative periods of Judaism, Islam and Christianity, their common roots, early interaction and contributions to European culture. The programme prepares students for educational and social work in a multi-religious society or for research on the role of the three religions in European history and society. Through the programme students acquire detailed knowledge about the formation of the three religions and their interaction with one another, as well as skills relevant for any occupation or study where the role of the three religions is of importance.
The formation of multi-religious societies in Europe and the increasing role of religion today create a need for individuals with an in-depth knowledge of the formation and history of religions, especially Judaism, Christianity and Islam, as well as a need for future research in the field. A graduate from this programme will be able to enter into specialised occupations in government institutions or organisations dealing with culture, integration or diplomacy and in private firms, for example with business relations with the Middle East. The programme also provides an excellent basis for PhD studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Study of Ancient Religion
- The Emergence of Judaism Christianity & Islam
- The Three Religions in Contemporary Perspective
- Interaction, text, or ancient language courses
- Interreligious Relations: Defining Moments, Current Encounters
- Thesis Colloquium
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology European Studies View 5 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor´s degree with a major in theology, the study of religion, classical philology, classical archaeology, history or the equivalent. The applicant should be able to document a minimum of 20 ECTS in either one or two of the following ancient languages: Greek, Latin, Hebrew or Arabic. An exemption can be applied if someone does not meet these standards fully. English 6/English Course B
- Based on academic qualifications and, added to the application, a letter of intent and a CV.
International10445 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20891 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
Full programme/course tuition fee: SEK 220 000
The Lund University Global Scholarship programme is a merit-based and selective scholarship targeted at top academic students from countries outside the EU/EEA.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.