The aim of the Language Technology programme at Uppsala University is to prepare you for a career in the commercial language technology field, as well as for a future in the academic world, for instance, as a PhD student.
Applications involving language technology are more or less defining of our contemporary way of life. They include document search and filtering, automatic translation, writers' aids, business intelligence, and user profiling. The core of language technology involves methods for automatically analysing texts with a sensitivity for their linguistic structure and content.
The challenges you will find in this field lie in the richness, unpredictability, and creativity of human communication, not least in the new modes of personal expression encouraged by social media. In working with the practical side of language technology, you will also gain insights in more theoretical computational linguistics. Important themes are empirical methods and data collection, statistics in modelling of linguistic phenomena, and machine learning.
Our graduates typically work at smaller companies specialising in language technology or artificial intelligence. Some of our alumni have found employment at the large companies working in these fields, such as Google and Microsoft. A number of students have had the opportunity to continue as reseachers or PhD students in universities.The language technology field is characterised by close interaction between university groups and commercial companies. This kind of competence also opens doors to related fields, e.g. where other human behavioural data are analysed by computational methods.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Programming for Language Technologists
- Mathematics for Language Technologists
- Natural Language Processing
- Advanced programming for language technologists
- Machine learning in natural language processing
- Language technology: research and development
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies General Engineering & Technology Artificial Intelligence View 49 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree, equivalent to a Swedish Kandidatexamen, from an internationally recognised university. Also required is 60 credits in language technology, computational linguistics, computer science, linguistics or a language subject.
- All applicants need to verify English language proficiency that corresponds to English studies at upper secondary (high school) level in Sweden ("English 6").
- Students are selected based on: a total appraisal of quantity and quality of previous university studies; and a statement of purpose (1 page).
International11476 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22952 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Application Fee: SEK 900
- Tuition fee, first semester: SEK 60000
- Tuition fee, total: SEK 240000
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.