On this MA International Marketing Master's degree course, you'll build business acumen while you develop a comprehensive and rigorous understanding of international marketing practice.
You'll learn about core marketing theories and models, and cover topics such as global marketing strategy, international brand communications, social media marketing, and web analytics.
You'll also have the chance to work on projects with the local business community, and spend time immersed in another culture on an international study trip.
When you graduate, you'll have knowledge, skills and experience necessary to develop marketing strategies for international businesses, making you an invaluable hire for any organisation. You could use your qualification to work abroad and in organisations engaged in business across international boundaries and cultures.
What you'll experience
On this International Marketing Master's, you'll:
- Get a grounding in marketing principles and theories
- Study all aspects of marketing including branding, social media marketing and consumer analytics
- Learn about how globalisation has increased the connection between business, markets, people and information across different countries and cultures
- Improve your knowledge of different cultures and nations, to make yourself a more effective member of the international marketing community
- Apply what you learn, as you learn, including establishing your own marketing agency, working with the local business community
- Develop transferable skills you can apply in all areas of your life, such as critical thinking, independent research, teamwork, verbal and written communication, analytical thinking and ethical practice
- Benefit from the experience of external guest speakers from a range of backgrounds – past speakers on similar courses include Jo Pabari (Director of Good Stuff Consulting and marketing consultant for Heineken, PepsiCo, Heinz and Twinings) and Emma Searle (Head of Digital at Verb Brands, a leading digital agency for luxury and premium brands)
You can also:
- Visit some of the world's leading digital marketing and advertising companies in London – we have links with organisations such as Google, Twitter and IBM
- Immerse yourself in a different culture on a week-long self-funded study visit to a European university
- Obtain additional qualifications that will boost your CV, via online training for applications such as Google Analytics and Adwords
Work experience and career planning
During the Collaborative Marketing Project module, you'll have the opportunity to set up an agency with your peers and work alongside clients from the local community, giving you a taste of working in the industry.
We can also help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your CV.
Teaching methods on this course include:
- Practical sessions in computer labs
- Collaborative sessions with peers in our Technology Enhanced Active Learning (TEAL) room
The teaching team has extensive academic and industry experience. Most academics have PhDs in marketing research or digital marketing.
You can access all teaching resources on Moodle, our virtual learning environment, from anywhere with a web connection.
For more about the teaching activities for specific modules, see the module list above.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- Written essays
- Written reports
- Online tests
- A portfolio
- Group presentations/group pitches
The independent research project assessment consists of 2 elements:
You'll get feedback on all assessments, and receive further feedback on your general progress in seminar sessions and consultation meetings with academic staff.
Careers and opportunities
Countries such as India, China and Japan now among the world's top 10 economies, while Russia, Mexico and Brazil are expected to enter the top 10 by 2050 (The World in 2050, PWC).
This has led to a high demand for marketing professionals who have the ability to work effectively across cultures, regions and countries.
Marketing opportunities exist across all industry sectors – private, public and voluntary. These can range from the financial, consumer and information technology industries to not-for-profit organisations, such as charities, local government and higher education institutions.
Roles you could work in when you graduate include:
- International market researcher
- Marketing campaign officer
- International marketing executive
- Public relations account executive
- Marketing consultant
- Social media manager
You'll also be able to pursue further studies at postgraduate or research level, or set up your own businesses with help and support from the University.
After you graduate, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Essentials of Marketing
- Contemporary Issues in Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Consumer Insight and Analytics
- Global Marketing
- International Marketing Communications
- The Collaborative Marketing Project
- Independent Marketing Research Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMarketing Digital Marketing View 422 other Masters in Marketing in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A second-class honours degree or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications, such as the Chartered Institute of MarketIng Diploma in Marketing.
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.