Our Sport and Exercise Psychology MSc will prepare you for:
- careers in sport and exercise psychology
- higher research-related degrees (for example a PhD)
You will have the opportunity to develop your understanding of the theory, evidence and practice of psychology in a sport and exercise context. You’ll gain the knowledge and skills to become a reflective practitioner. This will prepare you for further professional training and a route towards eligibility to practise as a sport and exercise psychologist.
The course is located within the School of Psychology, part of the Faculty of Medical Sciences at Newcastle University. We take great pride in the quality of our teaching and you'll benefit from being taught by staff who have a wide range of expertise. Areas include:
- the application of clinically-related psychological techniques
- strategies to enhance sporting performance
- well-being in both athletes and non-athletes
In the School of Psychology we focus on scientific and experimental study of mind and behaviour. Our main aim is to provide excellent, global education to our postgraduate students.
Many staff teaching on our courses are leading in their fields.
Teaching is delivered through lectures, seminars and small group work.
You’ll be assessed through a combination of:
- coursework assignments (for example, case studies, essays and presentations)
- research project
We've invested £32m in to state-of-the-art teaching facilities for sport and exercise. This includes:
- psychological testing cubicles
- exercise physiology lab
- biomechanics lab
- gait track
- high performance lab
- nutrition kitchen
- blood preparation and analysis lab
- an environmental chamber that enables the simulation of altitude, temperature and humidity
Take a virtual tour of some of these facilities here.
- During the course, you will learn how to:
- apply and evaluate psychological theory, strategy and techniques to facilitate performance enhancement and behaviour change
- critically evaluate psychological research evidence in sports and exercise
- use a range of quantitative and qualitative skills as well as use advanced statistical and analytical methods
- assess and devise appropriate interventions for performance enhancement
- apply appropriate psychological skills and counselling techniques
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
We suggest international students apply at least two months before the course starts. This is so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements
DisciplinesPsychology Sports Sciences View 842 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent in:
- sport and exercise science with substantial psychology content
International24000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9600 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Part time: £4,800
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.