Translation and Interpretation at Nanyang Technological University has specific objectives: to help students to develop the following capabilities:
- A high level of proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing in both Chinese and English.
- A comprehensive set of skills as well as professional attitudes and ethics for carrying out professional translation/interpretation work between English and Chinese.
- A thorough understanding of theories, debates and research methods in translation and interpretation studies.
- Competency in conducting research in translation and interpretation as well as expertise in research design and methodology.
- Capabilities for tackling various issues in relation to registers and styles and rendering texts from a wide range of specialised fields, as well as adequate knowledge of relevant interdisciplinary concepts.
- Awareness of technological changes and advances in translation/interpretation, as well as the know-how to use translation tools to facilitate translation production.
- Translation Theories
- English-Chinese Contrastive Analysis and Translation
- Translation Technology
- Audiovisual Translation
- Research in Translation and Interpretation Studies
- Cross-cultural Communication, Marketing, and Transcreation
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution plus evidence of language proficiency in English and Chinese, such as:
- A good pass in GCE ‘A’ Level General Paper, or equivalent;
- A good pass in GCE ‘O’ Level CL1, or Higher Chinese, or equivalent;
- A certificate of language proficiency in English or Chinese for international applicants whose first language is not English or Chinese
- In addition to the above requirements, all short‐listed applicants must take a self‐monitored screening test, comprising two translation and two interpretation tasks in Chinese and English and submit their answers by the deadline given. The final selection of candidates will be determined based on the results of the screening test and the review of their application.
International19250 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19250 USD per year during 18 months.
National9000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 USD per year during 18 months.
Living costs for Singapore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.