Your engagement will focus on themes at the forefront of contemporary culture, including identity politics, Otherness, and the environment. Online learning offers you the benefits of flexible opportunities to hone your critical and analytical skills with plenty of support from our research-active academic staff. You’ll also gain advanced research skills and have the opportunity to pursue your own research interests via a 13,000-word dissertation on a topic of your choice.
Twenty-first century literary scholarship challenges readers to engage with the cultural impact of globally significant issues such as sustainability, cultural difference and race relations, and inclusivity with regards to intersectional identities. The modules on this MA in Literature and Culture (Online) from the University of Hertfordshire are specifically designed to develop students’ critical understanding of literature and related forms of cultural expression (film, music, and the visual arts) within these frameworks.
Our students come from a broad range of disciplines, with many attracted to our module on vampire fiction, “Reading the Vampire: Science, Sexuality and Alterity in Modern Culture”. Going beyond Gothic studies, this topic has generated national media interest and the accompanying Open Graves, Open Minds Project hosted by Herts’ Literature department is an important online research tool for our students and all those interested in Gothic studies, the fantastic and the magical in fiction and folklore.
The advanced research skills you’ll gain on this MA, alongside transferable intellectual and personal skills, are of value in a wide range of careers, including teaching, publishing, the arts and media. Many of our graduates go on to higher levels of study, engaging in PhD research in their chosen fields.
MA graduates Daisy Butcher and Jennifer Cameron are now PhD students of literature at Herts, while MA graduate Olivia Steen has worked on the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and is now a visiting lecturer in Creative Arts with a new PhD project.
MA graduate Sam Cooper went on to take a PhD at Nottingham Trent University, where he now teaches and publishes, while Amelia Eikli started her own publishing house and is a writer and blogger.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- This online programme features a spectrum of digitally-accessed resources for students including recorded lectures, student-led discussion platforms, and one-to-one supervision. You will also have access to a wide range of academic resources via UH’s Online Library. Assessment is normally by coursework only. Outstanding online support is offered via StudyNet, our virtual learning environment.
- The MA comprises six modules including a final dissertation project, which gives you the opportunity to develop an extended piece of research on a topic of your choice, fully supported by a supervisor. It is possible to undertake study on a full-time (one year) or part-time (two-year) basis.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Literature Linguistics View 36 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- We normally require at least an upper second class Honours (or equivalent) degree with a significant element (at least 50%) of Literature. Graduates with an Honours Degree in any discipline who have otherwise demonstrated potential to succeed at postgraduate level in Literature will also be considered. IELTS requirement- 6.5.
- 2 references, at least one academic.
International9360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9360 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9360 GBP per year during 12 months.
- £780 per 15 credits for the academic year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.