This Supply Chain Management module from The Open University UK is delivered online, and is designed for those who want a sound knowledge of and insight into supply chain management, and will appeal to both Supply Chain professionals and managers in other professions.
This module will provide you with an in-depth insight into the theory, problems, solutions, and best practice in the area of supply chain management. It will provide you with opportunities to question and reflect upon your own organisation and its role in the wider supply chain. It will also help you to develop your ability to identify opportunities for improvement of product design, manufacturing processors, sourcing strategies, and market development.
Unit 1 provides you with an introduction to supply chain management, followed by Unit 2, on structure and performance of supply chains, and Unit 3 which gives an insight into supply chain design. In Unit 4 you will participate in a practical simulation of managing a typical, but simplified, supply chain and learn from the challenges you encounter in attempting to address the problems generated by supply chain dynamics. This work will be assessed through a reflective tutor-marked assessment (TMA) that will encourage you to relate your knowledge and experience to theory and identify the challenges of implementing best practice. The subsequent units, leading up to the end of module assessment (EMA), cover supply chain relations, sustainability, risks, and supply chain costs and financial issues. The final unit you will study in more depth the supply chains within three specific areas including the public sector, the mining sector and automotive sector.
The module aims to:
- develop an understanding of the nature of supply chain management, and the approaches to addressing the relevant business decisions in this area.
- develop critical understanding Supply chain management theories, including supply chain dynamics, supply chain risk management, and supplier relationship management
- develop critical understanding of the impact of the external context on supply chain decision making, including internationalisation and globalisation, social and technological change, and government policies and regulation.
- develop an understanding of the challenges of implementing supply chain solutions in context.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
On completion of the module you will:
- understand what is meant by supply chain management and the activities involved in its effective practice
- understand the concept of supply chain dynamics, be aware of the potential solutions to demand amplification and the difficulties of implementing effective solutions
- be aware of the types of supply chain risk, their impact on supply chain effectiveness and organisation viability
- conduct analysis of supply chains to identify strengths and weaknesses in their design and performance
- demonstrate reflective and critical thinking by writing reports that investigate, analyse and critique supply chain practice.
- understand the challenges of your own supply chain practices.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 6 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Supply Chain Management & Logistics Strategic Management View 361 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You will need to ensure that you have the knowledge and experience to study at postgraduate level. Please note that if you wish to study this module as part of a qualification you must meet the entry requirements for that qualification and any requirements regarding the order of study.
- The module requires 150 hours of study over six months.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Tuition FeeVisit official programme website
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.