The Center for German Studies offers an M.A. degree in Studies in Contemporary Germany: Politics, Society and Culture (a M.A. research degree as well as an M.A. diploma degree). The teaching program is affiliated to the three Faculties: Social Sciences, Law and Humanities. The teaching language is English.
This Contemporary Germany - Politics, Society and Culture at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem is accessible to students of Israeli universities and colleges recognized by the Hebrew University who have completed a B.A. degree in one of the relevant disciplines in the faculties of the Social Sciences, Law or Humanities with a grade point average of 80 for an M.A. diploma degree or 85 for an M.A. research degree. It is possible to switch from an M.A. diploma degree to an M.A. research degree after M.A. courses of at least 20 credit points have been marked with an average grade of 85.
In addition to basic and methodological courses, obligatory to all participants, the program offers five specialization tracks over a period of two years:
- Politics and Economy
- Law and International Relations
- Geography and Urban Studies
- History and Sociology
- Literature, Philosophy, Culture, and the Arts
Knowledge of the German language is at this point not a pre-requisite for admission into the program for students coming from the Faculty of Social Sciences and the Faculty of Law; however it is compulsory for all students in order to graduate to pass the exemption exam or the “Advanced German” exam.
Candidates who intend to specialize in German literature and culture are required to demonstrate knowledge of German at beginners` level when registering for the MA-program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Basic courses (8 credit points)
- The courses have to be chosen from the list of basic courses of the teaching program, from tracks not chosen as specialization tracks.
Compulsory courses (18 credit points):
- Colloquium for European Forum Students A
- Workshop and Seminar for Graduate and Research Students
- Methodological seminar in 1st and 2nd year
- 2 Simulation courses
- Advanced or specialized German language course or seminar
Elective compulsory courses (12 credit points):
- Seminar courses in two specialization tracks
- Seminary paper in one of the seminar courses
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Political Science View 9 other Masters in Political Science in Israel
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem and/or in Israel, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelors degree from a recognized university
- "B" average in undergraduate studies or its equivalent. These are the minimum admission requirements. Many departments are selective and require a higher grade average.
- Additional exams may be required, such as the GRE or GMAT.
- Knowledge of English: All candidates are required to meet English proficiency requirements as listed in the program website. TOEFL and IELTS are recognized.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4868 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4868 USD per year during 24 months.
National3898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3898 USD per year during 24 months.
- Annual tuition for all other programs – 14,042 NIS
- Annual tuition for Non-Israeli citizens for all other programs - 17,533 NIS
Living costs for Jerusalem
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.