Today, curating contemporary art requires as many skills as there are artistic contexts and languages. Whereas a solid cultural background is as important as management and communication skills, what is even more crucial for a 21st Century Curator is to build a stable network of relationships to make a curatorial project tangible and widely expandable.
For this reason, thanks to the prestige and unique position of the city of Florence, participants have the opportunity to engage critically and actively in current debates in curatorial practice and contemporary art.
At the end of the Curatorial Practice programme at the Istituto Europeo Di Design (IED) , participants may pursue careers in museums and not-for-profit galleries as well as in commercial galleries, fairs, and auction houses. They also consider roles in emerging areas such as criticism, education, consultancy, and artist studio management.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Its structure is divided into three main parts:
- Cultural area -The first part provides students with a solid introduction to the history of modern and contemporary art and a critical analysis of recent trends.
- Skills and Expertise - The second part teaches specific expertise and skills required to develop an efficient working practice in the fields of exhibition organisation and management. The course analyses which marketing activities are carried out in order to increase the audience of different targets and its involvement.
- Practice - The third part is dedicated to curatorial activity and exhibition design. Students, in a group or alone, work on specific curatorial ideas in order to develop real projects proposals, that will be part of their personal portfolio together with their Final Project.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History Museum Studies View 19 other Masters in Visual Arts in Italy
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Be proficient in the language of the chosen course (Italian/English) and comply with the language requirement listed in the relevant section below;
- Hold a Bachelor Degree or other qualification – also issued abroad or by a private higher education institution – deemed suitable*. IED will also assess applications submitted by candidates proving at least 2-year relevant work experience in a related professional field.
- Hold the specific program requirements listed in the relevant Master brochure and webpage of the selected programme;
- Comply with the admission and enrolment procedures;
- In case of graduating students, such applicants may be conditionally admitted provided that they obtain the undergraduate degree before the discussion of the Master thesis.
- For students applying for 1st Level Master programmes at IED, it is also necessary not be simultaneously enrolled to any other recognised academic course at any other higher education institution.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19200 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA19200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19200 EUR per year during 12 months.
- enrollment fee: €3000
- fee: €16200
Living costs for Florence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.