How faith works globally, the role of faith in politics and public debate, questions of justice, and the nature of our post secular condition are all areas where we equip you to participate with knowledge, skill, and understanding. You will develop an understanding of how you can provide leadership in these politically complex situations. Furthermore, we address the relation between science and religion and explore the deep-rooted system tying them together from the very origins of science. We also delve deep and investigate the 2000-year-old continuous tradition of Christian thought and practice—the theological tradition and its consequences. The Theology, Systematic Theology programme of the University of Gothenburg is designed to provide you with an advanced and well-rounded understanding of theology. Common to both specializations is the critical investigation of a rich heritage with a view to contemporary concerns.Regular contact with teachers in an international learning environment
We stand out from other theological programmes by providing regular contact with teachers throughout your courses and thesis work. Our teachers are leaders in their fields with international connections and broad experience in research from different parts of the world, such as Stellenbosch, Heidelberg, Cambridge, Princeton, Durham, and St. Andrews. Seminars and active discussions with fellow students and teachers characterize our academic environment. You will also benefit from our exchange programme with the Theological Faculty at Stellenbosch University in South Africa, enriching your education with visiting teachers and South African students. The exchange programme allows us to send one student each term from Sweden to South Africa.
Create a unique profile for yourselfWe offer a large number of courses, ensuring a well-rounded theological education while also providing space to follow your own particular research interests. The programme includes a mandatory course—Hermeneutics, Theology, and the Uses of the Bible—that students of both specializations take together. You will then choose elective courses, from our recommendations or according to your motivations. You will write your master’s thesis throughout the second year in parallel to course work, allowing you to hone your writing and research skills and produce a more competent thesis. This provides an excellent foundation for further advanced work in theology, such as doctoral work.
- The programme includes a mandatory methods course and a series of elective courses influenced by your specialization. We recommend course packages, but you may supplement with other courses from our large offering.
- The second year is dedicated to your master’s thesis, which you develop with support from teachers and fellow students. You will choose your topic in dialogue with a supervisor who has expert knowledge and will guide you through the process. Taking courses and participating in seminars while you write your thesis results in a more competent and research-oriented thesis, which provides a stepping stone into further research, and also for writing and discussing texts at a high level in non-academic careers.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology Liberal Arts View 11 other Masters in Liberal Arts in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university
- The applicant's university education must include a thesis, dissertation, degree project or substantial term paper, or equivalent proof of proficiency in academic writing
- Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 5/English A from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
- Applicants must submit their degree diploma, transcript and their thesis, dissertation, degree project, term paper or equivalent
International8182 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16365 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 178,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.