The Certificate in Middle Eastern Studies from American University in Dubai provides students a deeper understanding of the historical, cultural, social and political environment in the Middle East, allowing them to work towards the certification during their undergraduate programs.
Whatever profession they choose upon graduation, the certificate will be beneficial to all graduates seeking employment in the region.
The program provides an opportunity for students to enhance their knowledge of the cultural, historical, and political factors that have shaped the Middle East through time and to a large extent, explain the profile and texture of the current Middle Eastern landscape.
Upon completion of the certificate, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate required familiarity with Modern Standard Arabic;
- Exhibit a geographic knowledge of the region including both physical and economic aspects;
- Identify and discuss the historical underpinnings of the region;
- Explain the basic tenets of the Islamic faith and the role various religions play in the societies of the Middle East;
- Identify and discuss the various cultures whose presence contributes to and presents challenges to the cohesiveness of the region;
- Identify the various political systems historically and currently practiced in the region; and
- Identify significant contributions to human culture by civilizations in the region.
- Elementary Arabic
- Intermediate Arabic
- Arabic Proficiency
- An Introduction to Middle East History
- Islamic Civilization
- Islam: Historical and Societal Aspects
- Business in the Modern Middle East
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Be in good academic standing at AUD or their primary university of study.
- Be pursuing or having pursued a bachelor’s degree at an institution accredited by the MOHESR in the U.A.E. or by the relevant national or regional institutional accrediting body in the case of international applicants; or have earned a bachelor’s degree at an institution accredited by the MOHESR or by the relevant national or regional institutional accrediting body in the case of international applicants.
- Have successfully completed ENGL 102 (Advanced Composition and Research) or its equivalent for students coming from institutions in which English is the language of instruction.
- Satisfy all other requirements for admission to AUD.
International17352 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 964 EUR per credit
National17352 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 964 EUR per credit
AED 3,990 per credit
Living costs for Dubai
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.