The Media and Area Studies (MARS) programme at Charles University provides in-depth and critical knowledge about processes of mediation and signification, and how space and geography, the political and social specificities of an area, intersect with them. Thus, the programme enables a thorough understanding of the role of context.
Regions are not internally homogeneous, and they cannot be studied in isolation. Regions should be considered as particular socio-political and cultural entities with characterizing but complex, and sometimes contradictory, particularities. These particularities are extremely significant for the study of media spheres embedded in these regions. The theoretical-methodological background of the programme consists of a combination of post-colonial theory, media sociology, memory studies and political geography.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Media and Society
- Communication and Politics
- Czech Media System in European Comparison
- Conflict and Media in Southern Europe
- Introduction to Post-colonial Theory
- Political Geography
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Media Studies & Mass Media View 8 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Czech Republic
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Copy of a diploma to show completed bachelor studies, or confirmation of ongoing bachelor studies in the academic year that those studies will be completed
- Transcript of marks and academic results from previous bachelor studies
- Motivation letter
- Document showing level achieved in the English language (if applicable)
- References or letters of recommendation
- Writing sample - the best relevant academic text written by the student (essay, thesis, analysis, case study etc.)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- The International Visegrad Fund (IVF) is a joint initiative of the governments of the four Visegrad Group countries (Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary).
- The Fulbright Commission provides U.S. citizens with the opportunity to study, teach, or conduct research in the Czech Republic.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.