The new Master’s programme in Critical Media Studies offered by the Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design from National Research University - Higher School of Economics (HSE) will give students the opportunity to explore a wide range of media forms – from television and radio broadcasting to online social media – while implementing a number of theoretical frameworks, from political economy to cultural studies and more.
This interdisciplinary programme will employ approaches, methods and perspectives allowing for diverse media practices in contemporary and global landscapes to be interpreted, explored and analysed.
Students enrolled in the programme will gain expertise in contemporary media production and the industry itself, while also mastering the theoretical tools for analysing media representations of different social groups (class, race, gender, etc.) in Russia, the post-Soviet space, as well as the wider global context.
With a goal of enabling students to develop their critical, analytical and research skills, the programme curriculum includes three required core courses and approximately 20 elective courses. The three core courses provide students a comprehensive overview of the critical media studies landscape and include:
- The Political Economy of Media
- Critical Discourse Analysis
- Media Practices
Finally, students will design and develop their own innovative research projects under the guidance of leading international experts in the field.
Graduates of the programme will be well suited for careers in media or cultural institutions, academia, and the government sector, including as it relates to content creation, consulting, and directing in media and cultural organizations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- In addition to the core curriculum, the programme will offer 3-4 short-term seminars each year (each lasting a couple weeks or a couple of months) designed and taught by guest lecturers from leading universities abroad.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Nov 1-Aug 14: online applications may be submitted for preliminary selection; online (and in-person) candidate interviews will be held with programme teams
- Aug 14- Aug 28: submission of all supporting documents
- Aug 28: Deadline for signing agreements and enrollment forms
- Sept 1: Classes starting date depends on the choosen programme
- Dates apply to Moscow programmes only.
- Please note that some programmes begin on October 1.
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Media Management Media Studies & Mass Media View 5 other Masters in Communication Sciences in Russia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
International prospective students applying for Master's programmes at HSE University can now get a jump start on the admissions process and get a sense of their chances of being accepted to HSE. There is no need to wait till summer or to come to Moscow.
- Master's programmes in nine faculties, including the Faculty of Economic Sciences, the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Faculty of Communications, Media and Design, the Faculty of Computer Science, the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, the Faculty of Business and Management, the Institute of Demography and the Banking Institute, will conduct a preliminary online assessment of portfolios and hold online interviews. This will be particularly useful for those who wish to receive direct feedback from the programmes.
- The only thing you have to do is to sign up for a preliminary interview and portfolio evaluation.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5520 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5520 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
390 000 RUB
International students can apply to study at HSE for free through full-tuition scholarships. This merit-based scholarship will completely waive all tuition fees for selected full-degree Master's programmes at HSE.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.