Your studies on the English Literature - Modern and Contemporary Literature MA programme from the University of Liverpool , will be shaped and informed by leading international researchers in the literature and culture of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries who will teach you in small group tutorials which aim to develop your own interests in the field. Regular visits by a range of international writers and poets, in association with the Centre for New and International Writing, will enhance your study. in the past we have welcomed writers including George Saunders, Neil Gaiman, Nuar Alsadir and Jay Bernard.
The University boasts a range of unique resources to support your research, including Europe’s largest collection of Science Fiction material. The city of Liverpool, with its host of world-class institutions and venues, including the Everyman Theatre, the International Slavery Museum, and Tate Liverpool, provide many opportunities to explore and reflect on modern and contemporary culture.
- The independence of study, clarity of expression and management of time demanded by all our taught programmes equip the successful graduate with the skills and knowledge base required for further academic study and research in English and other areas.
- However, many graduates choose to enter careers such as teaching, publishing and journalism, or to work in the business sector, often in human resources, administration, marketing or sales.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Skills (literature)
- The Modernist World
- Dissertation Project
- Dissertation (literature)
- Optional modules
- Science Fiction and the Contemporary
- Using the Science Fiction Archive
- Contemporary Irish Poetry
- Contemporary Women's Poetry
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- There are no strict application deadlines but applicants are encouraged to apply in good time, particularly if they require visas or have special requirements
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Modern History View 559 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- All applicants must have reached a minimum required standard of English language and are required to provide evidence of this. Qualifications accepted by the University can be found on our International webpages.
- If you meet the academic requirements of the course but do not have the required level of English Language, it is possible for you to come and study at the University on one of our Pre-sessional EAP programmes.
- For entry to our master's programmes a good 2:1 class Bachelors degree in English studies or a similar subject is required.
International19000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- EU: £19,000
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.