The proposed cycle of studies aims at providing an advanced integrated training in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Porto, by promoting a systematic understanding in a particular area, along with a more comprehensive instruction in broader areas in this field of engineering.Graduates are expected to be able to conceive, design, and maintain systems and services in specific fields of Biomedical Engineering. Students should also acquire knowledge in a limited number of research techniques in order to develop skills conducting to high quality scientific research, according to the internationally accepted quality parameters and ethical standards.
The objectives of the curricular programme also include the development of skills such as team work, communication with their peers and the academic community, as well as presentation and discussion of results and achievements.
The graduates on Biomedical Engineering acquire competences and technical knowledge that make them capable of assuming the responsibility for the development, production, maintenance and equipment management, products and technological processes for diagnosis, therapy, rehabilitation and research. In general, in the industry, R&D, hospital engineering, and other related to the practice of biomedical engineering, such as:
- Research and development in labs, private or of the State;
- Development of prosthesis and artificial organs;
- Conception of physiological data monitoring or diagnostics systems;
- Conception of electronic implants and actuators that support therapeutic processes;
- Development of software applications for health care provision and management;
- Education and training of human resources in the domain of technology applied to health;
- Elaboration, evaluation, verification of the adequacy and fulfilling of biomedical technology standards;
- Planning, organization, and verification of installations dedicated to the practice of medical acts;
- Advisory in the elaboration of requirements and procedures, for the acquisition and verification of biomedical technology goods and services.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Seminars in Biomedical Engineering
- Laboratory Projects
- Optional Units of Study 1st Group
- Optional Units of Study : 2nd Group
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering View 7 other Masters in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in Portugal
This programme covers a vast range of subjects in the domain of Biomedical Engineering. It is designed to fulfil the needs of those who are looking for a specialized training (graduates in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry mainly), and who are interested in performing scientific and technical activities in health institutions or companies. The scientific committee of the programme may accept candidates who hold diplomas in other subjects, whose training is appropriate to this programme.The admission prerequisites demand high level knowledge on the domains of Mathematics and Physics.
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA1250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1250 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.