It should be noted that the social utility of this cycle of studies results from the ability to train specialists in research on the Middle Ages and in production of expertise.Students are able to integrate national and international teams in order to the management and protection of historic, artistic, literary and geographical heritage.
Fields of SpecializationThe Medieval Studies programme of the University of Porto includes units of the scientific areas of Medieval Studies, Philology, Philosophy, Geography, History, Art History, Linguistics and Literature, as well as in any scientific area of U.Porto.
Professional AbilitiesThe students will be able to:
- identify, select, analyze and interpret historical sources;
- identify, analyze and characterize the architectural heritage and medieval art;
- to develop critical thinking on issues related to the Middle Ages;
- produce scientific knowledge about the Middle Ages;
- edit medieval sources;
- coordinate exhibitions and scientific issues related to the medieval period;
- acquire a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approaches on the various theoretical and methodological about Middle Ages;
- apply the knowledge gained to benefit the society.
- Medieval Literary Manuscripts: Edition and Study
- Political Theories in Middle Ages
- Supervision Seminar / Investigation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Political Science View 10 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- 1st cycle degree or equivalent
- Hold a bachelors degree or legal equivalent in one of the areas specified by the school/faculty;
- Hold a foreign higher education degree that is in accordance with the Bologna process or that may be recognised by the U.Porto as satisfying the requirements of a bachelors degree;
- Have an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that the U.Porto recognises as proof of ability to complete the course of study.
International4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1250 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Porto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.