You’ll work one-on-one with a professional writer-mentor to improve your short stories, poems, memoir, or novel-in-progress, learning how to develop plot, character, dialogue, style and more through feedback on your own manuscript. The program is intended for those working on book-length projects, and you'll have the satisfaction of completing a large body of work which may include all or parts of a novel or memoir, a volume of short stories, or a book of poetry.
We've recently added a playwright to our list of available mentors - students have the opportunity to work through a full-length play with a playwriting mentor.
Humber is noted for its exceptional creative writing mentors, including authors of world stature. Past mentors include Martin Amis, Peter Carey, Miriam Toews, David Mitchell, Esi Edugyan, Nino Ricci, Margaret Atwood, Lawrence Hill, Anne Michaels, Edward Albee, Ha Jin and Alistair MacLeod. Recent international authors have included Jenny Offill, Nell Freudenberger and Samantha Harvey.
This is a project-based program in which you meet the learning outcomes by working through your own manuscript.
The main goal of the Creative Writing - Fiction, Creative Non-Fiction, Poetry graduate certificate program from Humber College is to improve your writing, and publication is a possibility for some. Graduates of this program may use their writing and editing skills in a wide variety of careers and professions in addition to writing books. Some of our graduates write for newspapers, magazines, television, the web and other media.
More than 300 Humber School for Writers alumni have published books. Dr. Vincent Lam, who won the 2006 Scotiabank Giller Prize for his literary debut, Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures, is just one of our distinguished former students. Other alumni have been on the bestseller lists in Canada: Suzanne Desrochers for Bride of New France, Cathy Marie Buchanan for The Painted Girls, Shari Lapena for The Couple Next Door, and Eva Stachniak for The Chosen Maiden.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureUpon successful completion of the program, a graduate will:
- Reflect on editorial feedback to determine core strengths and weaknesses of one’s own work.
- Self-evaluate written work focusing on key elements of creative writing such as character, dialogue, plot, theme, setting, imagery and structure/form.
- Apply techniques and strategies acquired through editorial feedback, self-evaluation, reading and self-directed learning to revise and improve one’s own writing.
- Employ conventions of grammar, punctuation, spelling and other aspects of technical style within the context of narrative/poetic traditions to write in a clear and professional manner.
- Revise and improve elements of literary style such as detail, diction, syntax, active voice, rhythm and tone to sustain reader engagement at the level of the sentence/line.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A bachelor’s degree, diploma or advanced diploma
- Applicants must submit their work-in-progress form.
- Applicants must submit a sample of their writing that is no more than 15 pages in length. The manuscript must be prepared according to professional standards: double-spaced, and with name, title, and page number on each page.
- Applicants must submit a cover letter describing their project and writing experience, as well as any relevant life experience.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17608 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17608 CAD for the full programme during 12 months.
National3615 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3615 CAD for the full programme during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.