The Materials for Energy Storage and Conversion programme from the University of the Basque Country covers interdisciplinary fundamental and applied fields of Materials Science, Electrochemistry, Chemistry, Fuel Cells, Battery and Photovoltaic technologies. During two years, MESC+ will give the opportunity to the students to acquire a significant number of competences that result from the three major categories, as follows:
- Scientific knowledge: thorough knowledge of the chemistry fundamentals; Li-Sulfur, Aqueous, Metal Air, Supercapacitors, Organic Batteries, Solid State Batteries, Metal-ion batteries, Metal anodes, Advanced Electrochemical Techniques, Battery Monitoring, safety, etc…
- Know-How (Applications / on-the job ability): computational and modeling, advanced spectroscopies, battery engineering, IoT, bibliography search, analysis and reporting of R&D results, project development and implementation,
- Soft skills (social and transferable skills): English, oral and written communication, interculturality, adaptability, self-esteem, autonomy, capable of taking initiatives, creativity, team spirit, critical mind, etc.
4 Reasons to Study this Master
- Leading European Industrial managers and politicians have recently identified the need for a European educational program leading towards training of scientists and engineers capable to design and develop novel technologies in the field of energy conversion and storage.
- Similar energy storage and conversion targeted curricula do not exist elsewhere.
- Apart from the 5 European universities, 2 Universities in USA and Australia, a European Research Institute (ALISTORE), the French Network on Energy Storage (RS2E), the Slovenian National Institute of Chemistry (NIC) and a leading Research Center in Spain (CIC Energigune) are involved.
- Moreover, the Master Thesis can be carried out in 30 associated Labs. in Universities and Companies including BOSCH, UMICORE, RENAULT, TOTAL, SOLVAY, SAFT, EDF, SOLVIONIC.
MESC+ opens the way to both jobs in companies or R&D institutes or to PhD studies in Materials Science and Engineering or Energy Technology.
The importance of improving the safety, cost and performance of energy storage and conversion technologies is globally recognized, as we move away from a dependence on fossil fuels. This also follows regulations from the European Commission with a creation of the Battery Alliance and other efforts to start with a large scale battery production in Europe.
- Advanced Electrochemistry
- Advanced Solid State Chemistry
- Application of Surface Treatments to Energy Storage
- Basic Electrochemistry
- Bibliographic Thesis Project & Scientific English
- Electrochemical Energy Storage
- Energy Storage and Conversion
- English and Scientific paper writing
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEnergy & Power Engineering Sustainable Energy View 12 other Masters in Energy & Power Engineering in Spain
- Students from all over the world can apply for the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree MESC+
- Students with a double nationality from a Partner (non European) and a Programme (European) countries must specify the nationality under which they submit their scholarship application.
- Students who have obtained a Bachelor or equivalent (minimum 180 ECTS) in Materials Science or related discipline like Chemistry, chemical Engineering, etc.
International4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.