In the best tradition of liberal education, the program addresses some of the great works of our intellectual and artistic heritage, studies the perennial concerns that have shaped our culture, and explores contemporary perspectives on traditional ideas and values. The interdisciplinary seminars offer wide reading, careful reflection, and intense discussion. They are taught by faculty who are chosen for their expertise and teaching excellence, and for their interest in interdisciplinary studies.
The Liberal Studies program from Simon Fraser University emphasizes a community of inquiry and discussion over independent research and entails several special expectations within the graduate study general regulations. Students should expect to participate in out-of-class activities, such as pre-class dinners, that encourage interchange and enhance intellectual community.
Approved for part-time study, the program is designed for individuals having other obligations, and who may for that reason require greater or lesser amounts of time to complete the program.
- Reflections on Reason and Passion and four graduate courses in Liberal Studies
- MA Extended Essays
- Project Option
- MA Project
- Liberal Studies Graduating Seminar
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesGeneral Studies & Classics Liberal Arts Literature View 70 other Masters in Literature in Canada
- a bachelor’s degree from SFU or its equivalent from a recognized institution
- a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.33 scale, or 3.33 on a 4.33 scale (B+) based on the last 60 credits of undergraduate courses. All graduate work is also considered.
- submitted evidence, usually references from qualified referees, of the applicant’s ability to undertake advanced studies in the area of interest.
- proof of English Language proficiency
- In exceptional circumstances, a student may be admitted with lower formal qualifications when there is significant experience relevant to the proposed area of scholarship.
International3892 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1946 CAD per semester during 36 months.
National3892 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1946 CAD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Burnaby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.