Recognizing the increasing importance and need for new thinking skills to positively impact society, enhance business success and manage organizational change, this innovative program was launched in 2009 to address these issues and opportunities. Emphasis is placed on teaching complex problem finding, framing and solving, to envision and develop sustainable futures.
With an interdisciplinary, co-creative approach only possible at an art and design university, the entrepreneur, social scientist, artist, designer, and engineer will develop together the skills required for leading innovation. the Strategic Foresight and Innovation program prepares graduates to think holistically - exploring, challenging and finding meaning in order to reframe and guide both present and future actions.
Small class sizes and access to outstanding faculty and experts foster new learning opportunities: students practise foresight to envision possible futures; study systems to see the bigger picture; and explore human factors for a broader understanding of motivation and behaviour. This allows students to lead innovation, generating insight-driven ideas that will result in new possibilities, new outcomes and new opportunities for the world.
Students will develop design-thinking skills that include analysis, synthesis and strategic and creative thinking, which are critical for professionals in the public, private and voluntary sectors. The Strategic Foresight and Innovation program at OCAD University will develop students’ expertise in foresight, research and innovation methodologies and will enable them to acquire sufficient contextual knowledge to develop intelligent, innovative, visionary and future-enhancing solutions in their culminating projects.
Upon completion of the course, students will be ready to tackle the complexity of real-world issues as future-conscious developers of ideas and solutions, and entrepreneurial co-creators.
The program will enable students to:
- explore and test innovative methods of organization, creation and production from a human perspective;
- develop strategic, innovative and anticipatory solutions (strategic foresight) and implementation plans for design, business or policy innovations, or for organizational or infrastructural change;
- navigate complex problems and find solutions that will lead to the development of new and sustainable futures.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Business and Design Thinking
- The Human Factor
- Innovation Research Methods
- Strategy Development
- Understanding Systems
- Foresight Studio
- 16 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesDesign Entrepreneurship Strategic Management View 20 other Masters in Entrepreneurship in Canada
- Application for admission into the Master of Design in Strategic Foresight and Innovation at OCAD U is a competitive process. Applicants must hold a BA, BFA, BDes, BComm, BEng or comparable honours degree/certification with an average of 75 per cent (B+) or better during the last two years of study, or must demonstrate exceptional experience/expertise as a practitioner in a relevant discipline.
- All applicants must demonstrate creative and conceptual competence at a high level, as well as the clear potential to create a truly innovative, germane and implementable project at the master’s level. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
International27324 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13662 CAD per semester and a duration of 16 months.
National13630 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6815 CAD per semester and a duration of 16 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.