Biochemistry investigates and describes the molecular structures and chemical processes occurring in living organisms at all levels of an organisation. This endeavour is predicated on the perspectives, insights and methods of organic, inorganic and physical chemistry and of molecular biology.
Biochemistry, therefore, has a critical impact on the foundational research conducted in many areas of bioscience (including applied disciplines) and plays an increasingly decisive role in initiating basic research projects in the field of chemistry.
The Master’s degree programme in Biochemistry at the University of Heidelberg prepares students to undertake doctoral studies, or to pursue a career in the field of research, or take on a leading position within academia, within governmental agencies or in industry. The skills and knowledge acquired also equip students to enter the job market.
Biochemists may pursue a career in any of the following:
- research institutions, in fields including Medicine, Earth Sciences, Environmental or Food Studies
- university clinics and medical laboratories
- businesses in the chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnical industries-environmental agencies, food agencies or laboratories specialising in food hygiene
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The compulsory module “Biochemistry” conveys further knowledge about the theory and practice of biochemical research.
- Focus in Biochemistry
- In the compulsory interdisciplinary module “Focus in Biochemistry”, students gain an insight into current research being carried out at selected Heidelberg institutes of chemistry and biology.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Application for enrollment (available in the service portal )
- acceptance letter
- the originals of school certificates relevant for admission and, where applicable, university certificates
- 1 passport photo (loose)
- Health insurance certificate for enrollment at the University of one of the statutory German health insurance or decision on the exemption from the statutory health insurance obligation
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1500 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.