You’ll build your knowledge of a range of core topics such as concrete and steel design, structural analysis, design optimisation and how structures are designed and managed in earthquake zones. You’ll also develop your research skills and focus on a specific topic when you complete your own research project.
Taught by leading academics and practitioners, you’ll prepare to face some of the major challenges of the 21st century.
This Structural Engineering degree from University of Leeds has close links with local and regional industry as well as the Yorkshire branch of the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE) – and you’ll benefit from the expertise of our active research groups across the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences.
You’ll also benefit from using our specialist facilities, such as bench-top testing facilities to look at the fundamental behaviour of material soils and testing rigs for full-scale structures. We have all the specialist software you’ll need for your programme, and you’ll have access to a dedicated study suite for Masters students.
A degree from Leeds and the experience you'll gain here will give you the edge to find the career you want. Your course will give you the experience and knowledge that employers are looking for to help you secure a job.
The University of Leeds is in the top five most targeted universities in the UK by graduate recruiters, according to High Fliers’ The Graduate Market in 2022 report.
This programme greatly enhances your ability to obtain status as a Chartered Structural Engineer. As a result, you may expect to find employment in the major structural engineering consulting practices, while opportunities also exist with multidisciplinary consulting organisations.
- Design and Management of Structures in Earthquake Zones
- Advanced Structural Analysis
- Design Optimisation
- Advanced Concrete Design
- Structural Engineering Dissertation
- Foundation Engineering
- Advanced Steel and Composite Design
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArchitecture Civil Engineering & Construction General Engineering & Technology View 291 other Masters in Civil Engineering & Construction in United Kingdom
- A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in civil engineering or an engineering discipline where relevant subject areas such as foundations, structural mechanics, soil and fluid mechanics, structural analysis and structural design have been studied.
- A bachelor degree with a 2:2 (hons) will be considered for candidates with at least 3 years’ relevant work experience, or associate membership of an appropriate professional engineering institution.
- We expect all applicants to provide a statement detailing experience held in structural analysis and structural design using reinforced concrete and steel as part of their application.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.