You’ll build your knowledge of a range of core topics such as concrete and steel design, structural analysis, design optimisation and how structures are designed and managed in earthquake zones. You’ll also develop your research skills and focus on a specific topic when you complete your own research project.
Taught by leading academics and practitioners, you’ll prepare to face some of the major challenges of the 21st century.
This Structural Engineering degree from University of Leeds has close links with local and regional industry as well as the Yorkshire branch of the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE) – and you’ll benefit from the expertise of our active research groups across the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences.
You’ll also benefit from using our specialist facilities, such as bench-top testing facilities to look at the fundamental behaviour of material soils and testing rigs for full-scale structures. We have all the specialist software you’ll need for your programme, and you’ll have access to a dedicated study suite for Masters students.
This programme greatly enhances your ability to obtain status as a Chartered Structural Engineer. As a result, you may expect to find employment in the major structural engineering consulting practices, while opportunities also exist with multidisciplinary consulting organisations.
Graduates have gone on to succeed in a range of careers around the world for organisations such as Arup, Delf Consulting Engineers (India), G2 Structural Ltd, JN Bentley Ltd, KA Tech Tips Ltd, SkyCon Design & Construction Co. Ltd and Sterling Engineering Consultancy Services, WSP, Atkins, Mott Macdonald, Curtins and Kier among others.
If you are taking the course on a part-time basis, you will return to your existing jobs with enhanced potential for progression.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design and Management of Structures in Earthquake Zones
- Advanced Structural Analysis
- Design Optimisation
- Advanced Concrete Design
- Structural Engineering Dissertation
- Foundation Engineering
- Advanced Steel and Composite Design
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesArchitecture Civil Engineering & Construction General Engineering & Technology View 269 other Masters in Architecture in United Kingdom
- A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in civil engineering or an engineering discipline where relevant subject areas such as foundations, structural mechanics, soil and fluid mechanics, structural analysis and structural design have been studied.
- A bachelor degree with a 2:2 (hons) will be considered for candidates with at least 3 years’ relevant work experience, or associate membership of an appropriate professional engineering institution.
- We expect all applicants to provide a statement detailing experience held in structural analysis and structural design using reinforced concrete and steel as part of their application.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.