The interpretation of dreams announced psychoanalysis to the world in 1900. In it Freud proposed that "the most complicated achievements of thought are possible without the assistance of consciousness." This psychoanalytic position revolutionised our understanding of mental life and the basis of any psychological intervention.
Psychoanalysis is a clinical practice which attends to the hidden, or unconscious, processes of the mind.Its epoch-marking insights shed invaluable light on the fragility of meaning in our lives and on the dynamics of mental health and its collapse in illness. Psychoanalysis stands at the origin of all the major developments in psychotherapy over the past 100 years. It is designed to introduce students in a thorough and rigorous way to clinical settings and practice and so is a solid basis for work in the field of mental health as well as being a foundation for training in the field of psychoanalytic psychotherapy.
Key Features of the MA in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy at Dublin Business School
- Aims to direct learners in establishing and maintaining a psychoanalytically informed therapeutic position for the practice of psychoanalytic psychotherapy
- Aims to provide extensive placement experience – each 15 weeks, one-day-a week – in psychiatric, educational, and social care settings to allow learners to develop a psychotherapeutic position under supervision
- Designed paying due attention to requirements of psychoanalytic psychotherapy professional bodies and to discussions regarding statutory and European regulation in the field of psychotherapy
- Offers an opportunity to engage with professionals in fields related to psychoanalysis and psychotherapy through attendance at a weekly Psychiatric Case Conference with a multidisciplinary team in St Vincent’s University Hospital
- Classes are typically conducted on Thursday afternoon, followed by two small group tutorials on Thursday night
- The three pillars of the programme are personal psychoanalysis/psychoanalytic psychotherapy, academic study, and clinical experience with clinical supervision
- The psychoanalytic orientation is Freudian-Lacanian
- The programme is entirely staffed by practitioner-teachers
This programme is recognised by Association for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy in Ireland (APPI) as a Master’s component of a four-year minimum training in psychoanalytic psychotherapy.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Formations of the Unconscious
- Infantile Sexuality and Infantile Neurosis
- The Clinic of the Unconscious
- Sexuality, Sexuation and the Division of the Sexes
- Neurosis in the Clinic of Psychoanalysis
- Psychoanalysis and Addiction
- Psychosis in the Clinic of Psychoanalysis
- The History of Psychoanalysis
- The Ethics of Psychoanalysis
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPsychology Cognitive Sciences Counselling View 15 other Masters in Counselling in Ireland
- Hold a minimum second-class honours (2.2) in an undergraduate degree in the psychological and medical sciences, humanities, arts or social sciences.
- Have the minimum requirement in English Language which is greater or equal to B2+ in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages for admission where full-time study has been conducted in a language other than English or applicants whose first language is not English
- Complete a personal statement of approximately 400 words outlining why they wish to pursue this particular course
- Attend two one-to-one interviews with psychoanalytic practitioners, one of whom is typically the Programme Leader.
International12500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA5550 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5550 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Dublin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.