Become an art business expert through the in-depth exploration of art markets and management.
The Master’s degree in Art Business offers a unique opportunity to study the art market both online and right in the center of the cultural and commercial art world: London. It provides students with an academic but highly practical understanding of those areas considered most important by art world professionals and employers: finance and management; law and ethics; and global art market dynamics. The MA in Art Business provides students with the necessary theories and skills to enable them to develop both a critical and practical understanding of art business. Students are also equipped with the necessary mathematical skills to enable them to engage in sophisticated financial analysis and business planning. Graduates of this program will thus emerge with the ability to place the art object within both its aesthetic and commercial context, and to discuss the legal/ethical implications of its historical provenance and current location.
The MA in Art Business was the first program of its kind and our innovative curriculum continues to set the industry standard. The Master’s degree is awarded for 120 taught credits across two semesters, as well as the completion of a 60-credit dissertation over the course of an additional semester. The program is of twelve months’ duration.
The first two semesters are intensively taught on three to four days per week. All students attend lectures, usually followed by a one-hour seminar. After seminars, students have access to tutors for individual instruction. In the first semester, Navigating the Art World (30 Credits) brings students from different MAs together for an introduction to the art world and to a variety of postgraduate research skills and methodologies within the disciplines of art history and art business. Later in the program, specialist electives can be chosen from across all Institute Master’s programs, allowing a student to build a personalized Master’s profile. Students take two 15-credit electives across a variety of offerings for deeper expertise or to develop specialties. Core units (60 credits) for the Art Business degree include Art Business: Management and Finance and International Art World.
For the MA degree, students must complete the 60-credit dissertation in their third semester. During this final semester there is no formal teaching, with students researching their dissertation topics under the guidance of individual supervisors. At the start of the program, students are allocated a personal tutor who supports their academic and personal development throughout. Lectures are given by members of the faculty as well as by consultants whose main work is within the art world, thus facilitating networking opportunities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The MA in Art Business was the first program of its kind and our innovative curriculum continues to set the industry standard.
- The Master’s degree is awarded for 120 taught credits across two semesters, as well as the completion of a 60-credit dissertation over the course of an additional semester. The program is of twelve months’ duration.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Finance Liberal Arts View 202 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
- Academic transcripts/mark sheets: from all undergraduate and post-secondary academic institutions attended.
- Two (2) letters of reference: References from an academic or professional contact. For those candidates with work experience, at least one reference should be professional.
- A personal statement (1,000 words maximum): Please tell us about yourself, your reasons for your choice of program, any relevant academic or art related experience, and your future career goals.
- A writing sample: A graded paper of no fewer than 1,000 words from an art history or art-related course or 1,000-word original essay or mock review written for an art publication or website. Footnotes are required for any citations.
- A curriculum vitae or résumé.
- An English language proficiency exam.
International32700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32700 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Please visit our website for pricing details.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.