Through the course, you will be given the opportunity to explore areas of illustration such as children’s books, graphic novels, editorial illustration, illustration for branding and experimental illustration. Whichever route you decide to take with your Masters project, you will be encouraged to take creative risks by pushing your work in new and exciting directions.MA Illustration is designed to support you in developing an entrepreneurial approach to your practice and we hope that – like many before you – you will use the MA as a springboard for your illustrative career. You will do this by creating a professional journal that you will use to actively build your professional persona. In this journal you will critically reflect on the current thought and practice of illustration as a discipline.
- Create a project tailored to your own personal illustrative interests and career aspirations
- Engage with industry by undertaking networking opportunities, short internships and studio visits
- Work in our professional MA studio space alongside other creatives
- Benefit from regular lectures from leading figures in the illustration and design industries.
- Attend workshops covering Visual Identity, Visual Sequence for Children’s Books and Graphic Novels, Ideation for Editorial Illustration, Branding, Typography and Life Drawing sessions
- Opt for an additional advanced research module if you’re thinking of progressing to PhD or Professional Doctorate study.
Careers and employability
This Illustration course from Nottingham Trent University will equip you with strong creative and problem-solving skills. Our graduates become valuable members of professional teams working together on a range of visual communication projects, involving all kinds of cross-discipline collaborations.
Our graduates often pursue careers in digital and printed media for advertising, branding, marketing and promotion, and a diverse range of publications.
Recent graduates roles and destinations include:
- freelance illustrator and designer
- intern designer and illustrator, The Future Melting Pot
- set up their own businesses, in the UK and abroad
- progressed to further study at PhD level
- work within related careers in the design sector
- returned to their previous occupations with a new focus
- Phase One: Creative Research and Development
- Phase Two: Creative Development and Testing
- Phase Three: Design for Production and Media
- Advanced Art and Design Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- You can apply for this course throughout the year, but we'd recommend that applications should be received by the end of July for entry in September.
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Liberal Arts View 586 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
- 2.2 honours degree in a related subject.
- Applicants with non-standard entry qualifications and / or relevant work experience will be considered on an individual basis.
- a creative portfolio.
International15850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15850 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8800 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Nottingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.