The programme is designed specifically to assist teachers in meeting the learning and psycho-social needs of students, thus enhancing the provision of appropriate education for children and young people with additional needs.
The Graduate Diploma in Inclusive and Special Education FT course seeks to empower teachers to be effective and reflective practitioners who can work with a diversity of students in the most inclusive environment. Through research-informed lectures and site visits, it aims to enhance and develop participants' awareness of new approaches in the definition, provision, education and support of persons with additional needs/disabilities, whether in mainstream or special educational settings.
The programme, with its balance of theory and practice, provides teachers with opportunities for receptive critical thinking, active participation and the development of theoretical, philosophical and curricular competencies which are informed by evidence-based practice and research.
- The programme, with its balance of theory and practice, seeks to provide teachers with opportunities for receptive critical thinking, active participation and the development of theoretical, philosophical and curricular competencies which are informed by evidence-based practice and research.
- It offers students a learning environment in which they feel encouraged and supported in constructively challenging their existing personal inclusive values and related practices. They are encouraged to become active, autonomous learners and critical thinkers who will be agents of personal and systemic change.
- A key aspect of the course is continuous professional practice in the teachers’ schools in which they are closely mentored, thus supporting them in their leadership and advocacy role and the development of a community of inclusive praxis.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Exploring Diversity: Assessment, Profiling and Planning for Additional Needs & Disabilities
- Inclusive Pedagogy: Supporting Curricular Access for Students with Additional Needs
- Professional Practice & Portfolio Development
- Inclusive Therapies and Approaches for Additional Needs
- Inclusive Education: Theory and Practice
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications are assessed on a rolling basis and courses will close once they are filled.
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Teaching View 54 other Masters in Education in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The course is open to teachers with a recognised teaching qualification who are currently teaching in Irish Primary and Post Primary Schools. Selection is by interview, and preference will be given to those with relevant SEN teaching experience.
- As the course is full-time, teachers in permanent employment who do not receive a place under the conditions of the relevant DES Circular will need to arrange leave of absence with their school authorities.
International13270 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13270 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6695 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6695 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.