The role of the photographer is evolving, particularly in relation to imaging technologies and emerging media devices, their impact on society and use in photography.
In this Master of Photography from RMIT University, you will utilise studio-based learning and independent research in a dynamic environment designed to help you build on your natural and taught creativity.
Through your autonomous and practice-led development, you will demonstrate expert judgment in analysing and applying photographic theories, practices and technologies. The capstone experience of this program is a major photographic project that is publicly presented for critical review.
Graduates will be prepared for a career in photography, able to provide insight and leadership to research, and produce photographic images and knowledge to a global media economy.
The Master of Photography will prepare you for work or further research in the photographic industry.
Graduates will have advanced and specialised knowledge and skills in photographic communication and practice. You will be able to independently create photographic works for professional presentation and communicate your ideas effectively in a range of contexts.
Postgraduate qualifications are desirable in the global market. Graduate will be more competitive in securing roles in museums, galleries, government institutes, education, community organisations and private sector organisations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- You will have access to a range of specialised photographic facilities, including shooting studios, professional capture equipment, post production facilities, computer labs and fine art large format printing technologies.
- Learning in this course is a balance between studio-based activities and theoretical reflections upon contemporary photographic art and culture. A strong emphasis is placed on guided, self-directed learning and independent research.
- Regular engagement with academic staff and your peers in tutorials and critique sessions will assist you in refining your practice and clarifying concepts, materials and methodologies.
- Lectures, seminars, presentations, and field trips to galleries and culture resources will expand your understanding of photographic practice and complement the studio-based learning.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 11 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You must have:
- You must have successfully completed an Australian bachelor degree (or equivalent overseas qualification) in a relevant creative discipline.
- You may also be considered if you have a minimum of 5 years' professional experience in photography. To have your professional experience considered in your application, you must include a CV and a statement that details your experience.
- CRICOS provider number: 096091J
International32640 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32640 AUD per year during 24 months.
National24960 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24960 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Melbourne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.