Languages offered include English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian and Spanish. You’ll benefit from work placements, site visits and dummy booth practice at the European Commission, the Court of Justice of the European Union, the International Maritime Organisation and the United Nations (Geneva and Vienna). It’s suitable for translators and linguists new to the field but would also benefit practising interpreters without formal qualifications.
The Interpreting course at London Metropolitan University is a vocational master's course grounded in theory and practice, specifically set up to train professional interpreters. The course offers you an opportunity to acquaint yourself with the theoretical and professional frameworks of interpretation applied to a range of interpreting types including public service interpreting, conference interpreting and remote interpreting (telephone and video conferencing).
After the course
Career prospects for graduates are excellent, with many proceeding to work as in-house or freelance interpreters and typically finding positions in translation and interpreting agencies; international, European and national organisations and bodies; local authorities, hospitals, the police, immigration services and refugee and asylum organisations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Conference Interpreting
- Interpreting Theory and Research for Interpreters
- MA Research Project
- Public Service Interpreting
- The Interpreter's Professional Environment
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
You are advised to apply as early as possible as applications will only be considered if there are places available on the course.
DisciplinesLanguages Translation & Interpreting View 120 other Masters in Translation & Interpreting in United Kingdom
- a 2.1 first degree or a 2.2 with professional experience in interpreting (candidates with substantial experience as a professional interpreter but no degree will also be considered)
- certificate and diploma-level English and one other language, or MA level English and one or two other language(s)
- near-native proficiency in your first foreign language (language B) and a good command of your second foreign language (language C)
- a very good command of English with a Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grade AM
International14300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £1,280 per 20 credits
- International: £1,590 per 20 credits
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.