The Conference Interpreting of London Metropolitan University offers a wide range of language combinations paired with English: French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. Further language combinations with English, such as Arabic, may also be available, subject to demand, staff expertise and availability of learning resources.
All simultaneous interpreting activities take place in the fully digital interpreting suite which also offers the latest multimedia facilities for virtual classes, recording of interpreting performances, as well as original speeches for student practice.
You'll be able to practice interpreting in professional situations, including guided walks around London using the mobile interpreting system. Places you'll visit can include the Bank of England, Lloyd's of London, Buckingham Palace and the Barbican Centre. As well as opportunities to practice your translation skills locally, you'll also have the possibility of translating meetings from the United Nations (Geneva), the Court of Justice at the European Commission (Brussels) and more.
The course modules are designed to prepare you to work as professional conference interpreters on the private market, for commercial organisations or large international institutions. The course also includes a strong reflective element present during interpreting performances such as the mock conferences and language specific tutorials. The dissertation offers the possibility to reflect on personal interpreting performance or research the interpreting field.
Where this course can take you
Students who complete the course automatically fulfil the requirement to access the EU/UN interpreting accreditation test to work as conference interpreters. Graduates can continue to come to London Metropolitan University to practise conference interpreting thanks to our short courses and events (CPD).
Graduates are also fully qualified to work as conference interpreters on the private market in the UK and abroad, and to continue onto further study with a PhD.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Conference Interpreting (EU/UN Context)
- Consecutive interpreting (A into English or C2 into English)
- Consecutive interpreting (English into A, or C1 into English)
- Interpreting Theory and Interpreting Assignment Preparation Strategies
- MA Research Project
- Simultaneous interpreting
- The Interpreter's Professional Environment
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , International
We recommend that you submit your application to us as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
DisciplinesLanguages Translation & Interpreting View 536 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- a first degree with a 2.1 (or a 2.2 with professional experience in interpreting) (applications from candidates with substantial experience as a professional interpreter but no degree will be considered)
- Certificate and Diploma level English and one other language / MA level English and one or two other languages
- near-native proficiency in your first foreign language (language B) and/or a good command of their second foreign language (language C)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16874 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16874 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National1875 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1875 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- UK: £1,280 per 20 credits
- Int: £1,590 per 20 credits
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.