Formally, an applicant wishing to undertake a research degree should submit a research proposal in writing of 3,000–4,000 words and consult with the Department on the general suitability of the research topic, and on the availability of an appropriate supervisor.
- Introduction to the central research topic that the student proposes to investigate
- Reference to the key debates and issues relevant to the research
- An indication the body of literature that the research will analyse; the main data that will be collected and/or analysed and the methods that will be used
- An outline of the potential significance of the proposed research for the field under investigation
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureResearch interests of staff in the Department of Applied Social Studies span the following areas:
- Equality and human rights, and more specifically race, racism, ethnicity, Traveller culture, intercultural studies, women’s studies, age and ageism
- Youth affairs, youth work and the sociology of youth, policy in respect of children
- Community development and community work, education and training for the social professions
- Criminal justice policy, juvenile justice
- Irish, comparative, and European social policy
- Social policy and older people
- Linking poverty, social inclusion and equality
- Social partnership, civil society, the ‘third sector’ and public policy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesSocial Work Area & Cultural Studies Sociology View 69 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Minimum 2.1 in undergraduate degree. Entry also subject to Departmental approval of application and proposal Departmental ability to provide supervision
- Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
- Minimum English language requirements:• IELTS: 6.5 minimum overall score• TOEFL (Paper based test): 585• TOEFL (Internet based test): 95• PTE (Pearson): 62
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.