- Build the high-level skills you need to become a professional researcher
- Design and deliver a substantial piece of independent psychology research on an original theme of your choosing
- Tailor your research project to reflect your professional and personal interests, your current job role or your career aspirations
- Develop a confident command of a range of research skills and methods, with a focus on both quantitative and qualitative methods
- Work with psychology experts at the cutting edge of their specialist areas
- Benefit from personal individual supervision
- Balance your studies with your other commitments through our flexible blend of online learning and short study blocks on campus
- Harness our sophisticated psychology research facilities, including a video observation suite and the latest eye tracking equipment
- Open the doors to new career opportunities as a researcher in academic, commercial or public sector settings
- Gain the ideal platform for progression to a PhD
Skills in research, analysis and evaluation are increasingly valued by employers across many different sectors. The thorough understanding of psychological theory, research and methodology you gain from your MRes studies will therefore give you a distinct advantage as you pursue your career.
Your qualification will act as a vital stepping stone, enabling you to apply for:
- Employment as a researcher or research assistant on major projects in an academic, commercial or public sector setting
- Employment in organisations which support the development of individuals throughout the lifespan
- Further professional training and registered routes into professions such as counselling, clinical psychology and educational psychology – for those who have already met Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the British Psychological Society
If you are already working, the MRes can also provide excellent continuing professional development and lifelong learning opportunities, helping you become a more psychologically aware practitioner.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Digital Scholarship and Research Skills Development
- Advanced Qualitative Research Methods
- Advanced Quantitative Research Methods
- Independent Research
- Independent Study
- Negotiated Module in Science
- Psychology of Illness
- Theories and Models of Behaviour
- Contemporary Developmental Assessment Methods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPsychology View 827 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Derby and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Entry requirements for UK students: Applicants should normally have or expect to obtain at 2:1 honours degree in psychology or a closely related subject with good coverage of undergraduate research methods.
- Entry requirements for EU/international students: Applicants with overseas qualifications are strongly advised to establish the UK equivalence of their qualifications. Within this requirement, it will be important to ascertain the ability to speak and write using the English language.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14700 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National7850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7850 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
UK/EU fee: £875 per 20 credits (Full-time/Part-time)
Living costs for Derby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.