The Performing Arts program of the Stockholm University of Arts is aimed at artists and practitioners who want to develop their creative practice, explore new directions as well as engage more deeply with ideas, reflection, and practice-based research. As a student you should have a background within one or more of the following fields of performing arts: scenography, playwriting/dramaturgy, directing, costume, sound, lighting, make-up and wig design, production or technical management. The Performing Arts is a cross-disciplinary field and the programme brings together diverse disciplines, fields and art forms thus encouraging a cross-disciplinary approach to making, thinking and communicating.
Master’s programme in Performing Arts
The Master’s programme facilitates a space for inquiry into your own practice and art as well as introduces you to different concepts, discourses, approaches and perspectives relating to culture and performing arts. The aim is not to create and devise stage productions, rather you will come to the programme with a proposed investigation. During the two years you will pursue your investigation through a series of labs, workshops, presentations and theoretical inquiries ending with a presentation of your process and research.
Today performing artists are operating and working in a fast changing world and the Master’s programme will enable students to articulate and ask complex and challenging questions about performing arts, the fast changing means of production and the relationship of the arts to the public and to the world in general. As a student you will therefore analyze current and future challenges and questions concerning modes of production and creative processes with a particular focus on new media, audience, the intersection between performance and society, innovative models of collaboration and the creation of new dramaturgies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Year 1: During the first year you are introduced to various positions on knowledge, theory, reflection and artistic research. Within the course ‘Methods in Artistic Research’ we look at a broad range of artistic research methods and processes as well as practice-based research. We ask how we understand knowledge and analysis within an artistic context and we look at the ways in which the processes of performance-making enable artists to contribute with new knowledge into a field.
- Year 2: In the second year we will build on experience and knowledge acquired during year 1 and you will take advanced versions of ‘Methods in Artistic Research’, ‘Art Society Context’ and ‘Performing Arts’. There will be one elective course.The Master’s programme ends with an independent project, which will be the culmination of your ongoing investigation into your original proposal.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 5 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A bachelor in fine arts or the equivalent
- English 5 or the equivalent
- A grade of Pass in the qualification test showing artistic ability in performing arts
- A copy of your passport or national identity card (unless you are a Swedish citizen)
- A certificate of a Bachelor's degree including the transcript of records.
- If you are in your last year of studies please upload a certificate that shows completed and current courses
- Letter of Motivation
- Your Project Description: the project description should be maximum 1,000 words and in English only
- A written reflection to a given text
- Documentation of Previous Work
- A description of the submitted previous works
- Your CV
International54030 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27015 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- If you are a Swedish citizen or a citizen of another EU or EEA country you are not required to pay tuition fees.
- Non-EU / EEA: 282,000 SEK per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.