Following professional experience or directly after your Bachelor’s degree in classical singing or opera, the Master’s program in opera will give you the opportunity to embrace aspects of your artistry that you wish to develop and deepen. It could be a role that you want to study, or a year to work with your vocal and scenic expressions.
At the heart of the Opera Vocal Performance program of the Stockholm University of Arts is your independent project that focuses on a topic in your profession as an opera singer. You will formulate and develop the project over the course of the program. Through supervision from our senior lecturers and professors, studies of methods in artistic work and within artistic research and through the meetings with researching artists, you will have the tools to conduct an individual exploration as an opera singer. You will also receive skills training in coaching and singing lessons, and will participate in a collaboration with Wermland Opera.
The program gives you the tools to participate in professional life as an independent and creative opera singer. The program is research preparatory and provides eligibility for studies at third-cycle level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Term 1: Singing lessons, rehearsals and scenic work to develop methods for independent work. You begin your degree project – the project you presented in your application. Seminars and meetings with researchers and students will give you the means necessary to develop this project and its research questions.
- Term 2: You further develop and present your degree project. The presentation contains both an artistic and reflective aspect. In collaboration with Wermland Opera, you will work with scenes from an opera repertoire in a performance.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor’s degree or professional qualification of at least 180 credit points or equivalent
- English 5 or equivalent
- Bachelor of Fine Arts or equivalent higher education qualification in classical singing or opera of at least 180 credits or equivalent
- A copy of your passport or national identity card (unless you are a Swedish citizen)
- Documentation showing that you meet the general entry requirements for studies at second cycle/advanced level
- You should state your voce type
- A list of six opera arias plus one lied/art song to perform by heart. One should be in your native language and the others in the original language
- A text where you describe the project you want to pursue during your studies
- A motivation letter of why you want to enter the program
- Your CV where you list your education, professional experience and other relevant experiences that you want to refer to
- A film and audio file
International51038 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25519 EUR per semester during 12 months.
- If you are a Swedish citizen or a citizen of another EU or EEA country you are not required to pay tuition fees
- Non-EU / EEA: 266.300 SEK per semester
Living costs for Stockholm
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.