The Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert) is a part-time course for healthcare professionals, offered by the Department for Continuing Education in collaboration with the Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences. It can be completed in one year (though two years is possible), and consists of three modules, each a week long and taught in Oxford. The department provides online support and e-Library access for distance learning on either side of the Oxford weeks.
The PGCert in Patient Safety at the University of Oxford is designed to provide an understanding of:
- the basic science behind quality improvement methods
- the techniques for implementing, sustaining and measuring systems change
- the techniques for exploring and evaluating the effect of different approaches to improving safety in healthcare.
There is a growing evidence base that quality improvement and human factors-based projects in healthcare have real impact on clinical outcomes for patients. The University of Oxford has a strong research base in patient safety, and this course benefits from the researchers’ intensive collaboration with clinicians.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
You will attend two core modules and one option module. The core modules are:
- Quality Improvement Science and Systems Analysis
- Human Factors, Teamwork and Communication
Your option module is chosen from:
- Leadership and Management in Health Care
- Becoming a Clinical Educator
- Healthcare Innovation and Technology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Management Health Sciences View 1736 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
- a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in an appropriate subject.
- For applicants with a degree from the USA, the minimum GPA we seek is 3.5 out of 4.0.
- If your degree is not from the UK or another country specified above, visit our International Qualifications page for guidance on the qualifications and grades that would usually be considered to meet the University’s minimum entry requirements.
International7850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7850 GBP per year during 12 months.
National1665 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1665 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Oxford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.