You will gain core skills and knowledge that are applicable for public health work in the UK and internationally. These include critically appraising evidence, analysing and interpreting data, research methods, and applying methods to protect health, prevent ill-health and improve health services. The programme is suitable for students from clinical and non-clinical backgrounds.
The Public Health programme offered at the University of Bristol covers the principles and practice of public health, health improvement, health protection, epidemiology and statistics, research methods and evaluation, health economics, ethics and healthcare services. You will learn from people who practise public health, including colleagues from Public Health England, local government and the National Health Service, in addition to research-led teaching from multi-disciplinary experts.
Your dissertation - which can be based on either the ALSPAC cohort, a literature review, qualitative data or your own research topic - will take the form of a journal article and opens the possibility of publication. The programme covers many parts of the Faculty of Public Health's Diplomate Exam.
Graduates from our MSc are working for Public Health England, local government, charities and universities in a range of public health roles including health improvement, health protection, systematic reviews, cohort studies and data analysis.
The MSc prepares students to move into careers which, with further work experience and training, would enable them to work in roles such as consultant in public health, director of public health, strategic director of health charities, public health government policy advisers, and lecturers, senior lecturers and professors of public health.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Essentials of Public Health and Health Improvement
- Research Methods
- Health protection: infectious disease epidemiology and control
- Public Health in Practice
- Health protection: Environmental, chemical and radiological hazards and occupational health
- Evaluation of Public Health Interventions
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Administration Health Sciences View 1772 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants are required to hold/achieve a minimum of an upper second-class honours degree in a relevant degree including (but not limited to) medicine, veterinary science, dentistry, pharmacy, biological sciences, statistics, geography, politics, psychology, and social sciences.
- Preference will be given to candidates with excellent academic results in their undergraduate degree and demonstrated interest in public health through work experience, volunteering or research. Additionally, evidence of numeracy skills is required (eg a minimum of GCSE mathematics at grade B or evidence of strong numeracy skills from an undergraduate degree).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10300 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: part-time (two years) - £5,150
- UK: part-time (three years) - £3,434
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.