With a Master in Data Science at University of Oslo, you will be well prepared to face a major challenge in today's society: how to utilize the information contained in the vast amounts of data that are being collected in various areas such as medicine, finance, environment, and social media. The master's programme in Data Science is based on an interdisciplinary background in statistics (probability theory, inference, machine learning) and computer science (algorithms, visualization, database) in addition to a solid foundation in general mathematics.
Modern data collection is characterised by volume (the amount of data), variety (the many different types of data including numbers, text and videos) and velocity (the dynamic collection and need for processing data). Extracting knowledge and insight from such data requires several different skills. Many tools are available, but the need for an understanding on what these tools do and how they can be applied or modified to a specific problem requires deep methodological understanding of all the topics within the Data Science production chain. This programme will give you a combination of theoretical basis and practical experience, from problem definition to data extraction and preprocessing to analysis and in the end presentation of the results.
A graduate with a Master of Science in Data Science:
- has broad insight, understanding and intuition of the whole process line of extracting knowledge from data
- has a deep insight in one of the specialisations within the program, depending on the study and the choice of the master project
- has solid knowledge in a broad range of methods based on statistics and informatics and can use these for data management, analysis and problem solving
- has experience in deriving theoretical properties of methods involved in Data Science
- has experience in implementation/modification of methods involved in Data Science
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Statistics and Machine Learning
- Database Integration and Semantic Web
- Data Science and Life Science
- Statistical learning methods in Data Science
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesData Science & Big Data
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Scan of non-Norwegian passport or ID card
- Documentation of English language proficiency
- Documentation of completed upper secondary education
- Final bachelor's degree diploma(s)/certificate(s)
- Transcript of records for your bachelor's degree
- Degree/ relevant courses to be completed - Only applicable for Nordic and EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens and applicants with a permanent or renewable residence permit in Norway
- Final degree diploma and transcript of records
- Documentation of financing (if applicable)
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.