The Medical Education course from Staffordshire University is aimed at all medical educators, clinical and postgraduate tutors, nurses, health visitors and therapists, general practice course organisers and trainers, undergraduate tutors and all others involved in teaching in a health or social care setting. It is suitable for experienced teachers who wish to up-date or re-assess their skills as well as novice teachers looking for a ‘teaching tool-box’ of new skills and knowledge.
You will expect to complete the MSc between three and five years, however you may also choose to exit this course with one of the three awards, each stage being worth 60 credits of study (please see module information below) and will normally take 12 -15 months to achieve.
In order to fit in with your work commitments this is a distance learning course and you can join at any point in the academic year. Whilst you can study at your own pace, the modules run over a 12 week period. All course material necessary for the modules is available on line through Staffordshire University’s virtual learning environment, ‘Blackboard’. This approach to learning offers you choice and flexibility about when you access your learning materials and you are able to study at a pace that suits you.
You are expected to engage with all on-line activities in a timely manner and you should be prepared to allocate around 150 hours of independent study per module including engagement with on-line resources, reading time, and assignment preparation.
The Postgraduate Certificate stage of study comprises of 4 x 15 credit modules (see below) which provide an underpinning knowledge of educational theory, aiming to improve your teaching and learning skills with your learners / trainees in your workplace. You will consider all aspects of teaching and learning from devising a lesson plan to assessing a learner at the end of their period of study. You will consider how students learn and how you can adapt your teaching style to optimise learning; you will evaluate the effectiveness of various teaching methods and how you use the resources available to you in your own teaching practice; you will reflect upon the effectiveness of your teaching style and will analyse the assessment methods utilised in the teaching and learning process.
Completion of the Postgraduate Certificate stage provides the opportunity for accreditation as Associate Fellow with the Higher Education Academy (HEA).
The award will enable you to:
- Examine, reflect upon and improve your teaching skills.
- Consider the strengths, drawbacks and practical implications of different teaching methods and relate these to your own workplace setting.
- Deepen your knowledge of the evidence base for some of the underpinning theory of education
This award will provide an opportunity for career progression and completion of the Postgraduate Certificate stage enables registration as an Associate Fellow with the Higher Education Academy.
- Introduction to Educational Theory
- Approaches to Teaching and Learning in Healthcare
- Assessment and Appraisal in Healthcare Education
- Observation and Reflection on Healthcare Teaching
- The Culture of Education in Healthcare
- Contemporary Issues in Healthcare Education
- Negotiated Module
- Research Methods and Methodologies
- Project Based Change
- Masters Dissertation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Health Sciences View 126 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
- You must have a professional health or social care qualification, such as medicine, nursing, social work, complimentary therapies, physiotherapy, occupational therapy or podiatry, is required.
- It is advisable that you are actively involved in teaching in some capacity i.e. students, colleagues or patients, as the modules are based around your own experiences of teaching in the workplace, although it is not a requirement for you to hold a formal teaching position.
- Competence in the English language is essential. Applicants for whom English is not the first language must be able to demonstrate their competence, at an IELTS level of 7 or equivalent
International3672 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3672 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA3672 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3672 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!