Graduates of the MEngSc in Materials Science and Engineering at University College Dublin will be fully qualified professional engineers, capable of working anywhere in the world at an advanced technical level or as a professional engineering manager.
Graduates will also have specialist training in underlying scientific fundamentals and practical materials handling and analysis techniques that will make them attractive to either potential employers or equip them for further study at advanced postgraduate level such as PhD studies in Ireland or across the world.
Materials Science and Engineering is an interdisciplinary field investigating the relationship between the structure of materials at atomic or molecular scales and their macroscopic properties. Materials Scientists and Engineers are at the centre of virtually every area of technology from optoelectronics to space materials and from automotive and automotive manufacturing to biomedical devices.
Careers & Employability:
- If you are a graduate of the MEngSc Materials Science & Engineering programme you can look forward to limitless employment opportunities in a substantive array of industries.
- Most companies worldwide employ materials professionals and examples where UCD materials graduates now work are: General Electric or Rolls Royce (Aerospace), Astrium (Space), Stryker or Boston Scientific (Biomedical) or Siemens (Energy).
More informationVisit official programme website
- Energy Systems Integration
- Chemistry of Materials
- Nanomaterials Chemistry
- Advanced Characterisation Tech
- Solid-State Electronics
- Professional Engineering (Finance)
- Computational Continuum Mechanics
- Fracture Mechanics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications are assessed on a rolling basis and courses will close once they are filled.
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering View 11 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Ireland
- An honours undergraduate degree (NFQ Level 8) with a minimum upper second class honours or international equivalence in a relevant Engineering, Science or Technology programme.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element), or equivalent.
- Students meeting the programme’s academic entry requirements but not the English language requirements, may enter the programme upon successful completion of UCD’s Pre-Sessional or International Pre-Master’s Pathway programmes.
International25600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25600 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7830 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7830 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.