Our mission is to foster sustainable futures through integrated research and learning about the linkages among human and natural systems, and to support decision making from local to global scales. More often than not, we achieve this through collaborations across students and faculty in a manner that recognizes our collective skills, intellectual histories and methodological approaches, and yet encourages our interdependencies as we consider real world problems.
The Resources, Environment and Sustainability (RES) graduate program from University of British Columbia provides a home for such interdisciplinary students, focusing on the integration of the biophysical (ecological), socio-economic, and political realities of resources within the context of a sustainable, healthy environment.
What makes the program unique?
Over fifty percent of our core faculty are Canada Research Chairs and faculty mentoring has led to a high success rate of our students winning major fellowships and scholarships. There are multi-year funding packages offered for top applicants to the RES program. RES has over 400 alumni since the graduate program started in 1994
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- 12 credit thesis course (RES 599)
- 18 credit of coursework
- RES 502 is mandatory (3 cr)
- RES 507 is mandatory (3 cr)
- RES 510 is mandatory (3 cr)
- A methods course approved by your supervisor is mandatory (3 cr)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSustainable Development Natural Resource Management Environmental Sciences View 54 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Normally, applicants for a master's degree program must hold the academic equivalent of a four-year bachelor's degree from UBC including one of the following:
- A minimum overall average in the B+ range (76% at UBC) in third- and fourth-year courses.
- Academic standing with at least 12 credits of third- or fourth-year courses in the A grade range (80% or higher at UBC) in the field of study.
- Most three-year, Bologna-compliant degrees from research-intensive universities are acceptable as a basis for admission to master's programs at UBC.
International8952 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8952 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National5095 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5095 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.