As museums and other informal learning sites contemplate new roles within society it will be incumbent upon museum professionals, and particularly museum educators, to become catalysts for different ways of thinking about the educational roles and potentials of museums and other informal learning sites, teaching and learning in museum settings as well as exploring new relationships between museums and the broader community.
This Museum Education program from University of British Columbia is a part-time program that is offered 90% online and 10% in face to face sessions
What makes the program unique?
Unlike many museum studies degree programs that tend to focus on the conservation and preservation of artifacts in object-based museums the MMED's focus is on the scholarship of education in museum settings and the practices needed to help museums achieve their educational mission.
- Teaching in Museums
- Learning in Informal Environments
- Curriculum Issues and Theories in Museums
- Education Programming in Museums
- Research Methodology in Education (Focus on Museums)
- Museum Methods
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMuseum Studies View 3 other Masters in Museum Studies in Canada
- A completed four-year undergraduate degree and, for K-12 teachers, one year of teacher education; OR A 4- or 5-year Bachelor's degree in Education OR other appropriate areawith a minimum average of 76% (B+) on all senior-level credits, or equivalent
- A 600-word statement of intent about your career goals and explain clearly why you wish to take this particular program with this focus area
- CV / Resume
- Statements of support from three referees who can speak to your academic and professional background
- Evidence of English Language Proficiency, if applicable
International8854 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26563 CAD for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
National5283 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15851 CAD for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.