The Department of Classical, Near Eastern and Religious Studies offers a unique interdisciplinary Master's program that allows students to specialize in archaeology through the completion of coursework, archaeological fieldwork, and a thesis.
Students choose from a broad range of coursework in the archaeology and material culture, religion and mythology, literature and ancient languages, and history and cultures of the ancient Mediterranean and Near East from the Bronze Age to Late Antiquity. In the second year of the program, students write a thesis under the supervision of a faculty member.
The degree balances research with fieldwork to best prepare students for a career in archaeology.
University of British Columbia's Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology MA students have gone on to study at outstanding universities such as McGill, University of Toronto, Yale, UC-Berkeley, Stanford, and Oxford. Others have had career success in the public and private sectors as teachers, university administrators, translators, creative professionals, bankers, and more.
- Coursework can survey from the Bronze Age civilizations of the Near East and Egypt to Roman provincial archaeology, providing a broadly based foundation for further archaeological training.
- The degree balances research with fieldwork to best prepare students for a career in archaeology.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchaeology History General Studies & Classics View 41 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Many programs require a statement of interest, sometimes called a "statement of intent", "description of research interests" or something similar.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card
International9313 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9313 CAD per year during 24 months.
National5301 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5301 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.