Environmental Engineering is a broad, interdisciplinary programme focusing on the technical and environmental sciences.
As a graduate MSc in Environmental Engineering from the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) , you will be able to design, conduct, and interpret laboratory and field experiments and can quantify the hazards, risks, and uncertainties of environmental problems.
Study programme focus
During the period of study, you will gain in-depth knowledge and understanding of the physical, chemical, and biological processes causing local and global environmental challenges. You will be involved in experimental projects and learn about the processes through mathematical models and statistical analysis of data and measurements.
You will be provided with problem-solving techniques designed to avoid or minimize environmental impact. You will also have the opportunity to study the latest technologies used in western society and gain insight into the challenges facing the developing countries. In addition, you will learn about urban planning, occupational health and safety, environmental regulations, and environmental management.
Environmental Engineering is a broad, interdisciplinary study programme allowing you to specialize in a wide range of environmental issues. For instance, you can choose to concentrate on methods for waste and wastewater management or purification of contaminated soil and groundwater. You can also focus on the utilization of natural resources, the production of drinking water, or methods and tools for use in industry designed to reduce environmental impacts.
The choice of courses in the students’ individual study plan offers a high degree of flexibility. Therefore, you have every opportunity to design your own study programme by choosing from the wide range of courses. However, you can also choose to specialize in one of the five study lines:
- Environmental Chemistry
- Environmental Management
- Residual Resource Engineering
- Urban Water Engineering
- Water Resource Engineering.
Environmental Engineering graduates can be employed in public administrations and companies offering environmental and construction consultancy. For instance, you can be involved in the planning of pipe and sewer systems, run water treatment and supply, organize resource recycling, manage product safety, install remediation technology for contamination cases, or deal with environmental inspection and restoration of natural environments.
You might also get the chance of employment in Danish companies or organizations engaged in environmental work abroad, including environmental management and production optimization. Graduates have found jobs with, among others:
- universities and research institutions.
- Environmental Microbiology
- Applied Analytical Environmental Chemistry
- Chemicals in the environment
- Priority Organic Pollutants - Transport, Distribution and Transformation
- Modelling of Environmental Processes and Technologies
- Environmental Management and Ethics
- Environmental Economics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
More informationGo to the official programme website
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Environmental Sciences View 10 other Masters in Environmental Engineering in Denmark
- Applicants for admission to the Master of Science in Environmental Engineering should hold a bachelors degree in engineering in Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, BSc Engineering (Chemistry biotechnology or other relevant areas).
- The bachelor degree must be less than 10 years old.
- The individual MSc Eng programme states in detail which bachelor programmes qualify and whether applicants have to complete supplementary educational activities.
- Requirements for supplementary educational activities can equate to up to 30 ECTS credits and are specified in the form of a list of courses under the individual MSc Eng programmes.
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Check the official programme website for information about funding options.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.