This PGCE Secondary (Mathematics) programme at Bishop Grosseteste University is demanding and stimulating. We aim for you to be prepared to take responsibility for your own learning, be open to creative and innovative ideas, and be competent, reflective practitioners both in your training year and beyond.
Success on the course means you will have completed a postgraduate (with 60 credits at Masters level) or professional graduate qualification, have met all the Qualified Teacher Status Standards and be ready to start the next year as a Newly Qualified Teacher.
Careers & Further Study
The teaching profession has a well-structured career pathway which moves progressively from initial teacher training through to newly qualified (NQT) status to qualified teacher. Many continue to work in our partner schools, becoming mentors to our trainee teachers, pursing further study to full Masters and Doctoral level at BGU and taking on leadership roles including Headships.
How you're taught:
- This is a very practical course where you’ll spend at least two-thirds of your time in schools, mostly working with teachers and pupils, and around one third spent on your own study with training sessions in the university or locally to your school.
- You will consider the broader aspects of teaching, contexts for learning, the latest government initiatives and contemporary issues in teaching, learning and assessment. You will also work alongside trainee teachers of other subjects to consider cross-curricular aspects of education.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics Teaching View 436 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
- GCSEs at grade 4 (previously C) or above (or equivalent) in English Language and Mathematics.
- A relevant honours degree at a 2:2 classification or above. (Where the degree result is to be awarded in the year of application, we will require a predicted degree classification as part of an academic reference provided on the application)
- Declaration of Health
- DBS (formerly the CRB) Enhanced Disclosure
Experience in a relevant setting is useful as it will help you to make sure that you are aware of the role of a teacher in the twenty-first century. The course is intensive and demanding and you need to be aware of what a career in the teaching profession entails.
We encourage you to gain some experience in schools as this is a good starting point for you to gain an interview for the Secondary PGCE.
International14280 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14280 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lincoln
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.