The Master in African Studies at Ghent University is the only Master’s programme in Belgium uniquely focusing on the academic study of the African continent. The programme starts from a truly interdisciplinary perspective as its courses take on a deep-time perspective on Africa’s peoples, cultures, literatures and languages, focusing on Central and Eastern Africa. It combines broad thematic courses and specialised seminars allowing students to become trained in disciplines as diverse as anthropology, history, literature studies and linguistics. This unique multidisciplinary programme will stimulate your critical thinking about Africa’s position in the world with a true sense of appreciation for cultural diversity.
In a globalising world, where Africa is playing an increasingly important role, our society needs graduates with academic expertise on Africa. A thorough understanding of African cultural frameworks, languages and history provides students with the knowledge and skills to build bridges between cultures. Graduates in African Studies find jobs in the NGO-sector or cultural sector, in development co-operation, academic research, immigrant support programmes, tourist industry or business world, both in Europe and in Africa.
- Language, History and Identity in Central and Eastern Africa
- Literature, Media and the Arts in Central and Eastern Africa
- Politics and Globalization in Central and Eastern Africa
- Medical Anthropology: Africa and the Diaspora
- History and Theory of African Urbanism and Architecture
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Linguistics View 14 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An academic Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in African Studies, anthropology, applied biological sciences, (applied) economic sciences, (applied) linguistics, archaeology, art history, commercial sciences and business management, criminological sciences, health care, history, literature, (moral) philosophy, (notarial) law, pedagogical sciences, political sciences, psychology, and social (health) sciences, or an international equivalent is required to enter the MA African Studies directly.
- In case you are in possession of an academic or professional Bachelor's degree in a field not mentioned, you may be allowed to enter the Master programme after a preparatory programme which is in Dutch. All applicants will be required to send their CV and a motivation letter.
International1862 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1862 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA962 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 962 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Gent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.