Nursing informatics is a specialty that integrates nursing science and health information science to identify, define, manage and communicate information and knowledge that supports nursing practice. You’ll graduate with two degrees: a Master of Nursing and a Master of Science in Health Informatics. The program schedule permits students to complete required coursework in two years and requires additional time for conducting the research for a thesis or research project
Graduates of this Nursing and Health Informatics program of University of Victoria, British Columbia are prepared for careers in practice, education, research, administration and consultation. They can work in public, private, or corporate settings.
There is a growing demand for knowledgeable nurses who can select, develop, implement, and evaluate information technology. One hundred per cent of our graduates have found employment immediately after graduation.
As a graduate of the double degree Master of Nursing and Master of Science in Health Informatics program you will develop advanced competencies in the following areas:
- Health informatics
The importance of nursing informatics
The nursing informatics (Double Degree) program provides knowledge, skills and training to identify concerns, design safe and usable systems and address nursing practice issues before and during technology implementation.
Successful implementation of the technologies (e.g., electronic health records, nursing information systems, telehealth) requires nurses working at all levels of care to integrate computer skills and informatics knowledge into their nursing practice. Nursing informatics graduates advance nursing practice by ensureing quality-based health information techology is adoped into use in patient cares.
Our nursing informatics (Double Degree) program provides the knowledge, skills and training to identify concerns, design safe and usable systems and address nursing practice issues before and during technology implementation. Nursing informatics graduates advance nursing practice by ensuring that intelligent and quality-based health information technology is adopted into use in patient care.
Students in this program learn to refine and improve health information technology designed for nurses and other health care professionals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods in Health Informatics
- Health Information Systems Design
- Health Informatics Overview
- Philosophy for Advanced Practice Nursing
- Advanced Practice Nursing and Professional Identity
- Nursing Ethics for Health System Transformation
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesNursing Health Management Health Informatics View 37 other Masters in Nursing in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have completed a Baccalaureate in Nursing (equivalent to the degree offered by the University of Victoria) with at least a B+ (77%) average calculated over the last two years (or equivalent of 30.0 UVic units) of the degree to be considered.
- Practica, non-graded (pass-fail) courses, credit granted on the basis of life or work experience, or credit earned at institutions not recognized by the University will not be used in determining your grade point average or units completed.
- An upper level (300 or 400) undergraduate statistics course* from a recognized post-secondary educational institute. Must have a final grade of B or higher. Must be completed within 5-years of the date of application.
- For applicants to the NP option only - An interactive Indigenous cultural safety course for health providers within 5 years of application (e.g., PHSA San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training)
International10250 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10250 CAD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National8126 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8126 CAD per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.