- Follow the School Direct route if you want to spend most of your time learning how to teach in schools
- Receive recommendation for the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) on a course ranked as ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted - the highest possible accolade
- Choose a route that matches your career aspirations - choose Early Years (3-7), Primary (5-11) or Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) which encompasses either Early Years (3-7) or Primary (5-11)
- Benefit from our strong network of partnership schools so that you gain varied, challenging and effective practical experience
- Be inspired by our team of dedicated, friendly tutors who are renowned internationally for high quality teaching and research
- Take your career prospects to the next level: at the end of this course, you will receive 60 credits towards a masters degree
If you’re passionate about embarking on a teaching career, the PGCE Primary (School Direct) with Qualified Teacher Status from the University of Derby enables you to immerse yourself in practical experience from the outset.
There are few professions as important and satisfying as teaching. Successful completion of this course gives you the ideal springboard into a worthwhile career: a PGCE, Qualified Teacher Status, 60 credits at masters level and substantial practical experience.
As a newly qualified teacher or trainer, you can also benefit from the University’s continuing support as you take your career forward. We offer a range of resources, subject updates, events, conferences and development opportunities to ease your transition into professional practice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Practice and Pedagogy
- Theories of Learning and Teaching: The Pupil as Learner
- Developing Teacher Enquiry: Research Informed Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 866 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- You must have a good UK Honours degree (preferably 2:1) or equivalent, plus grade C or above in GCSE Mathematics, English Language and a Science. You need to have already gained the required GCSE grades when you apply. There are currently a range of equivalences which can be accepted - please contact our Admissions team if you need clarification.
- A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required at the point of accepting a place at the University. The Disclosure and Barring Service was established when the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) merged in 2012 and will now provide the criminal records checking service for this course.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Tuition FeeVisit official programme website
Living costs for Derby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.