- Study a course ranked as ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted – the highest possible accolade
- Gain substantial practical experience on teaching placements in our partnership schools across the region
- Be inspired by our team of dedicated, friendly tutors who are renowned internationally for high quality teaching and research
- Choose a curriculum enhancement in a range of subjects to advance your skills in a specific area
- Take your career prospects to the next level: at the end of this course, you will receive 60 credits towards a masters degree
Our PGCE Primary leads to the recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and prepares you for a fulfilling career where you can make a real difference to children’s lives. You will be fully equipped for the practical demands of the role, including teaching all the National Curriculum subjects.
There are few professions as important and satisfying as teaching. This Primary with Qualified Teacher Status course from University of Derby offers the ideal route to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), enabling you to embark directly upon your career in a school and to develop your role as a teacher in today's society.
We pride ourselves on producing highly employable graduates. Ofsted said: “Many trainees gain teaching posts before they finish their training and almost all have obtained a teaching post within a very short time of leaving the University.”
In a profession with lots of opportunities for career progression, we also give you a stepping stone towards a masters degree. When you complete this course, you will gain 60 credits at masters level so that you can fast track to stage two of a masters degree and accelerate your professional development. Our MA Education is an excellent option, especially if you have your sights set on more senior roles such as head teacher or deputy head teacher.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Practice: Becoming a Teacher
- Professional Practice: Aiming for Excellence
- Professional Studies: Understanding Aspiration and Achievement
- Curriculum Studies: Principles of the Primary Curriculum
- Professional and Curriculum Enhancement - for this module, you will choose a subject such as Maths, English, Science, Wider Curriculum, PE or Primary Modern Foreign Languages
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Early Childhood Education View 436 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
You must have a good UK Honours degree (preferably 2:2) or equivalent, plus grade 4 (C) or above in GCSE Mathematics, English and a Science. Candidates with pending GCSEs will be considered. Equivalency tests will be accepted in English, Mathematics and Science.Demand for places on the course is very high, so you must also:
- be able to communicate clearly and in spoken and written English, with a good understanding of correct grammar
- meet the Secretary of State's requirements for physical and mental fitness to teach
- meet all the Department for Education entry requirements for Initial Teacher Education courses including suitability and fitness to teach checks
- achieve clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service at the start of the course. You must not have previously been excluded from teaching or working with children.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14045 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14045 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Derby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.