The growing use of software also increases the size and complexity of software needed, alongside greater pressure to quickly release to market in rapidly changing environments and demands. To meet these challenges, the Software Engineering and Management programme of the University of Gothenburg offers a unique combination of advanced technical knowledge and management skills. You will develop perspectives for:
- understanding industrial practices and current and future trends in technology development;
- judging and improving software quality, methods, and tools;
- sustaining software systems over long times;
- and innovating software development practices and improving performance.
A project-based, collaborative learning environment
We have a strong research profile and rely on close collaboration with industry. You will engage in project work and be confronted with real-world challenges for software-intensive industries. Addressing these challenges will show you how both advanced technical knowledge and managerial skills are needed to produce large technologically advanced systems in ways that correspond to contemporary demands for quality and speed in very dynamic environments.
Preparing you for a future career
The programme combines different perspectives and approaches, preparing you for different roles, such as developer, tester, quality manager, software architect, and project manager. The skills you develop will also be applicable in many industries, such as automotive, telecom, defence, government, bank, retail, and education. We educate future engineers who are qualified to design software with high quality and low development and maintenance costs. But we also educate future researchers who can work innovatively and conduct advanced experiments with technology within software engineering.
We help you succeed
You will have the opportunity to do an industrial practice project, which is 15 credits gained during an internship with a company. Furthermore, you may conduct your master’s thesis in collaboration with a company. The master's programme in Software Engineering and Management has been selected by the Swedish Institute to nominate candidates for scholarships. Please visit the webpages of the Swedish Institute for more information on how to apply for a scholarship.
- Software Quality
- Requirements Engineering
- Empirical Software Engineering
- Project management
- Software Evolution Project
- Advanced Software Architecture
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology Web Technologies & Cloud Computing Software Engineering View 96 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree 180 credits including an independent project (degree project) of at least 15 credits or equivalent within the field of Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, or equivalent
- Knowledge in programming, with the minimum of: 7.5 credits in programming, 7.5 credits in object-oriented design, and, 7.5 credits in algorithms and data structures
- Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
International13697 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27395 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 298,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.